Extra insulation to sloped ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm back for some more advice. Following our recent extension, the Building Regs Officer has found that we don't have enough insulation between our ceiling and the roof felt/tiles. Basically the builder didn't put in any TLX multi-foil (I think), the 70mm celotex is present.

Any way, the Building Regs Officer has suggested the best way forward is to attach a further 50mm celotex to the plasterboard and then re-plaster board over the top of that.

Now to my questions:
(1) how do you fix the Celotex to the plasterboard, do you need to cross batten?
(2) How do you then secure the plasterboard to the new ceiling?

What may make it slightly more awkward is that the downlighters are already installed in the new ceiling.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Buy some insulation backed plasterboard, i.e. plasterboard with 50mm celotex bonded to it.

Buy some extra long screws (165mm +) then fix the bonded plasterboard through into the existing rafters.

You will have to relocate the lights.

The alternative is to either say shove it to the bco or remove the ceiling altogether and fix insulation between the rafters as well as across, to cut down on the bulk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back