Extra light from sensor light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hoping someone can help me out :)

I have a sensor light in my back garden and wish to install a 60w Outdoor Lantern (IP33). Would it be possible for me to wire this light to a sensor light?
I Will be using 1.0MM 3-core with wall trunking, thank you for any advice.

The sensor light is also operated with an indoor switch.
morg

Sponsored Links
If the PIR sensor has a rating so it can handle the total load ( Old + New Watts), then all you need to do is, Switch OFF Power and open the PIR light fitting and connect the cable for the new light to the cables that are connected to the existing Lamp.

don't forget to ensure that the Earth is connected.

ensure that you run any PVC cables in Mini Trunking to protect them from UV Light.

thanks for helping

not sure if my PIR sensor has the ability.
can I still do it if it hasn't?

Sponsored Links
Of course you can still do it, but you will burn out the PIR in your existing fitting ;)

What type of existing light do you have, 60-100watt lamp, 150-500watt halogen?

This information will help us help you

i wouldnt try it, most cheapo pir / flood liights are not designed for it, why not buy a separate pir for the new light?

Thank you, I will certainly change the PIR.. it's been playing up any ways.

But if I connect the lantern to the PIR... would the lantern only 'light on' when the sensor light picks up heat, because come to think of it, I do not want it that way.

What I want :rolleyes: Is the ability to switch on the Lantern (manually) and without the sensor light coming on... [/b] :idea:

Since when has IP33 been suitable for outdoor use?

In my book, the minimum is IP44...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back