Replacing PIR sensor with Sensor Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Currently I have 3 lights in back garden with 2 PIR sensor. Any of 2 sensor will turn on 3 lights.

Picture of PIR Sensor

20200620_231623.jpg

Top wires Red, Blue and Yellow are main wires.

I am planning to replace it with PIR Sensor light and to have extra light ant that when sensor light turns on it also turn on initial 3 lights as it use to do before.

My new sensor light have 3 connections

N, L and Earth, pictures below of manual

20200620_232611.jpg 20200620_232557.jpg

I connected wires as below

Red -- L
Blue -- N
Yellow -- Earth/Ground

After connecting as above sensor light works perfectly fine but other three lights are not switching on so can someone please help me with this.

Sponsored Links
Why do you think your yellow wire is an earth?

I can't see a switched live output on your new sensor light to feed the other lights.

Why do you think your yellow wire is an earth?

I can't see a switched live output on your new sensor light to feed the other lights.

I assumed it to be earth as i am still learning DIY so need to know a way that sensor of new light also becomes switch for other 3 lights

I assumed it to be earth as i am still learning DIY so need to know a way that sensor of new light also becomes switch for other 3 lights

One thing you need to learn is to never assume with electrics. Earth wires are always green or green/yellow striped.

As I said: I can't see a switched live output on your new sensor light to feed the other lights.

So you probably can't do it easily.

Sponsored Links
One thing you need to learn is to never assume with electrics. Earth wires are always green or green/yellow striped.

As I said: I can't see a switched live output on your new sensor light to feed the other lights.

I fully ag

Any workaround that can be applied to achieve

Probably not.

You would have to access the internal switching device - but it might be just a PCB, might not be able to cope with more than its own 10W LED, and might be the wrong current and voltage.

Earth wires are always green or green/yellow striped.

NO. they should be but it doesn't happen all the time

DANGER sometimes a wire with Green/Yellow insulation will have been used as Live conductor. Totally wrong but it happens.

I am sure there must be a way using loop that when sensor triggers to turn it's light ON at that time it can complete the connection cycle for other lights as well.

Last edited:
NO. they should be but it doesn't happen all the time

DANGER sometimes a wire with Green/Yellow insulation will have been used as Live conductor. Totally wrong but it happens.

Saying earth wires are always green or green/yellow is not the same as all green/yellow wires are earth.

However I take your point that colours can be misused

I am sure there must be a way using loop that when sensor triggers to turn it's light ON at that time it can complete the connection cycle for other lights as well.

Possible for an experienced electronics engineer at great expense, yes.

OK. I suggest you find an experienced electronics engineer then. I hope you have a fat wallet to pay for his/her services.

It is possible that the electronics of the sensor and the electronics of the driver for the LED element are combined into a single integrated circuit. If this is the case then there will be no way to access the switched Live for use in controlling other lamps.

It is possible that the electronics of the sensor and the electronics of the driver for the LED element are combined into a single integrated circuit. If this is the case then there will be no way to access the switched Live for use in controlling other lamps.

See below, I just opened the light as it has sensor separate so may be possible to take switched live ??

Can someone also confirm if I combine yellow and blue wire will it complete the circuit for other lights once sensor is ON ?

See below pictures
20200621_110849.jpg 20200621_110834.jpg 20200621_110823.jpg 20200621_110501.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back