Extract Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps,

Easy one for you experts, Having an extract fan ducted through the roof space from an en-suite, My question is - whats the easiest way to insulate this?, and can you duct it to a tile vent rather than a pipe coming out the roof?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
jamiedl said:
My question is - whats the easiest way to insulate this?
I don't understand - why would you want to insulate something within which warm air is being pushed outside? :confused:

Hi Softus,

It is an attic room with a small ceiling, I was under the impression that when the duct passes through the cold roof it needed insulated.

Thanks for your reply Softus

Were you thinking of condensation forming inside the pipe and dripping down into the fan? (can happen)

The thinnest and cheapest roof insulation you can lay your hands on, wrapped round and taped, would do the trick. Or a few of layers of bubble wrap.

I have seen air conditioning ducts wrapped in insulation covered in aluminium foil, but I don't think it's available in DIY quantities.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you are meant to insulate these to stop condensation. Not only could it drip into the fan but also it could be a hidden breeding ground for bacterial contamination.

If you can arrange it, going sideways to an eaves vent is one way, sloping down of course after the initial rise. Flexy hose required both ends.

Ah, thanks to simond (mainly) I now understand .

Apologies for being dense. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back