Extractor fan (60l/s) for kitchen wall

so I don't need a fan isolation switch and can take the wire provided directly in to the fan leaving the front off for electricians to inspect.
A DP switch would be a good idea for when it goes wrong.
How are you going to turn it on and off without one?

it's really about where I make the hole.
What hole?

or do I need a double pole fan switch adjacent ?
You can put it anywhere you want.

It would seem sensible to run the 1.5mm in to a double pole switch like this:
1mm² will still be more than adequate.

and then add a new cable in to the hole for the fan
What hole? You're not going to have the cable visible, are you?

Sponsored Links
The fan will be controlled by a light switch on the grid switch where all the other switches are for lights. But obviously thats not an isolation switch. My obligations are to install the extractor fan. Sparkies will then check and include in sign off (this is something missed from original scope of works, so we have agreed I fit and they check). I have to cut a 160mm hole in the wall, to install, I have no ability to talk to sparkies, as relationship with builder is probably 1 step away from a county court claim. I can cut the hole easy peasy as its thin joint wall system and as soft as polystyrene. But I need to put the hole in the right place. So I'm concluding that the wire currently coming out of the plastered wall, needs to be carefully chipped out, so that I can put a metal box in, run that cable in to a double pole switch and then chase new cable in to the 160mm hole, to connect to fan and patch plaster and paint the wall etc...
28783907693_5b49be18b1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well it doesn't mention backdraft shutters on the model he is looking at? I have seen alot of fans with no back draft shutters. I have a shuttered grill on my own house and it never flaps about.
Because you don't get the shutters battered in the wind doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, because it happens, a lot. It all depends on where the grille is, prevailing wind direction, angles of other buildings/roofs etc etc.

In any case, the OP has bought a fan with a backdraft shutter so can go with a standard louvred grille.

Why not just use a DP grid switch. It doesn't need another one.
That would be a great idea. but I'm at the stage where we have agreed who's doing what. if I can find one in the right colour. I will do that.

it does mean I just do my 160mm hole next to the cable. though will need to chase it to avoid screws hitting conduit.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back