Extractor Fan Recommendation for Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after recommendations for a humidistat-fan, for a rented property with current condensation issues.

I'm looking to replace the kitchen and bathroom extractor fans with more beefy units with humidistat control. The bathroom should be an easy swap but I'm not so sure about the kitchen.

The current tenants are 3 adults and 3 medium-large dogs, so the probable cause is probably simply extra moisture generation than before.

As I expect the fan to be running regularly, and potentially almost continuously, quietness as well as throughput is important to prevent it being switched off as an annoyance.

The kitchen extractor has a 150mm duct at present, and I'm looking for something that will go into the same hole.

I'm looking at an Airflow - Maxivent-Eco 150mm Eco Fan, which has a low speed for "a little too humid", and a higher speed when very humid, and peaks at more than 250m^3/hr airflow.

Can anyone confirm that this unit is as quiet as alleged, or recommend an alternative?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ferdinand

Sponsored Links
Sorry can't help with extractor but I live in an identical house to my father-in-law next door but one.

I have no condensation problem in kitchen he does. Reason very simple he uses gas and I use electric.

Gas when it burns produces water not talking about pans boiling just the burning of the gas.

I fitted one humidistat-fan in my dads bedroom when I installed a shower it never seemed to turn off. I have an issue with any fans running over night with open-flued combustion used in the house. Balanced flues and electric is OK but with open-flued combustion the limit the fan can extract is lower than the amount other parts of building regulations say should be extracted so with any open-flued fires in the house you need one of these.
mechanical-heat-recovery-system.jpg
The problem is they are very expensive. So in my house the tumble dryer is never run at the same time as the gas fire in the living room. How a tenant could instructed about that I don't know?

Anyway it is clearly not just a case of sticking in a fan you really do need to look carefully as to why.

@EricMark

Thanks for your reply.

The central heating is gas, with a brand new balanced flue boiler, so that is OK. They have a condenser tumble dryer, so that is also OK. The cooker is electric.

These tenants I could explain quite a lot to, but it is clearly better to keep things simple for the future

The only fly in the ointment is that there is currently no cooker hood (for very good reasons - the cooker backs onto a blocked up chimney so installation would be slightly involved). That will be plan B if a new fan doesn't do enough.

I'm not wanting to go down the route of full house mechanical ventilation; that would be quite painful. The last extractor I installed was a heat recovery one that has a constant trickle, bought when Vent-Axia were doing a 33%-off promotional reduction.

ML

In my experience tenants have no idea about condensation but just complain about it and the subsequent mould.

If it is not wiped up and removed from the room(s) then it (like dust) will merely accumulate and get a bit worse every day.

Although the tenants won't like it they must heat AND ventilate.
I have seen tenants boiling pans, drying washing, and filling the property with plants yet never opening a window.
I know it is difficult but that is how the world works.

Leave a soggy cloth in your car and see what happens.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back