Extractor fan - DP fused spur or fan isolation switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am installing a 12v extractor fan in my ensuite and i am trying to find out what kind of isolation i need. Looking around there are 2 ways of doing it

Double pole Fused spur
or
3 pole Fan isolation switch

The extractor fan i have has a built in timer so obviously has 3 poles, which method would you recommend i use, DP fused spur or the 3 pole fan isolation switch? If i use the DP fused switch how would i wire it in so that the fan is activated when i turn on the lights?

Any help appreciated!

Andrew :)

Sponsored Links
The Isolator is to protect anyone doing maintenance on the fan so there is no need to install an isolator in the 12v feed. If its fed from a fused spur then there will only be two live cables and a DP isolator will suffice.

ok, so I am feeding the transformer with a sw live, perm live and neutral from the light fitting. How do i fit the DP fused spur into this?

If your feeding live, switched live and neutral you will need to fit a 3 pole isolator.

Sponsored Links
So i dont need a Fused spur then, it is ok to fit the fan with no fuse between the light and the fan?

Because the instructions with the fan state that a DP fused spur must be used, but i cannot work out how to do this when i have 3 poles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back