Fan Isolator Fused

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Click fused fan switch is a like a grid system, so all that was available before.

The best way (IMO) to connect that fused fan switch would be to bring all the feed cables, the fan 3 core+e, the light cable, and the switch cable all the fan switch.

The fan switch can act as a junction box.

The entire bathroom can be connected so it is served by the 3amp fuse - ie the fuse protects the light as well as the fan.

This way both lives of the fan are protected by one 3amp fuse, and it makes the light switch and light fitting easy to connect as each only has one cable, and eliminates the need for a junction box.

Sponsored Links
From what i recall it was a combination of events, it was only a warehouse toilet so aesthetics were not to much of a problem and being a building contractors making good the decor not a problem either.

It was on the warehouse light circuit with loads of lights and wired on a 16 amp mcb, it was indeed a 3 core and Earth and was originally to the fan via a switched Fcu.
I dont recall which but either the Live or the Switched live was via the switch, the other Line was just via a connector in the box.
The new Fan isolator alone would have resolved that.

As usual the client wanted the cheapest job, so i opted to fuse both legs, leaving fused at 16A did not seem right, maybe 3A was not required but as i had the fuses on board i thought why not and 3A also tied up with the makers leaflet, whether right or wrong.
The flex would have been van stock so 0.75mm minimum likely 1.5mm

JohnW, regarding what you say, i ensured the isolater was after the fuses, so would like to think the Isolator would be used before working on the fan.
Anyway i think its safer than before, yet i still got a Rollicking from the client as to why changing a 4" fan took so long, you cant win.

Sponsored Links
How would changing the cable between the light fitting/rose/JB/whatever to the dual fuse unit mean that the light fitting/rose/JB/whatever would no longer be directly connected to the lighting circuit?
upload_2018-10-15_23-0-29.png

Good drawings John :)
However I think, depending where that fuse was located, possibly baffle some people if the fuse blew and the light failed, moreso if it was in the type of unit in the original post.
Mine was wired as you say and i recall may have been a struggle to replace the link over to the light without ceiling damage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back