Fan isolation switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just spotted this available from toolstation
handy having the fuse in the switch

Sponsored Links
Yes, but you have to think how you are going to wire it, its simply a grid system with a fuse module and a double width 3 pole switch. Its only really very usful if you can 3 plate at the fan isolator. Not bad if you first fix with one in mind though

Many fans come with instructions that demand a 3 amp fuse. Different Electricans vary in their opinions on how seriously these should be taken......

Afaict Scholmore Click has for a long time offered fan isolators in their "minigrid" system. It seems sellers on the likes of ebay started selling these pre-assembled with a fuse module as "fused fan isolators" and eventually Scholmore saw there was demand and started selling them themselves.

The problem is where to put the fuse. Some people only fuse one of the two feeds to the fan, but I find this hard to justify. I don't think i've ever seen a fan whose instructions distinguished between the two feeds and it also leaves the undesirable situation where removing the fuse leaves the fan "off but live". So IMO if you are going to add a fuse for a fan, the most logical thing to do is to put the fuse before the light-switch. As Adam says that's fine if you do your "first fix" with it in mind, but it's hard to accommodate if the first-fix has already been done.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back