Extractor fan location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an electrician come round to fit an extractor fan in my bathroom, what do you think regarding the location?

Obviously steam rises so is its location really going to affect its performance?

I'd have expected it to have been installed higher up and maybe more towards the corner , I can only think it was installed where it was to save them having to mess about with ladders.

Attachments

• IMG-20181218-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20181218-WA0001.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
is it immediately above a bath or shower?

how high is it above floor level (be precise)

do you think the fitter was a qualified electrician?

The position is fine. Commensurate with 90% of installed fans.

However for it to work well, and of more importance the air should be drawn across the room. When air is sucked out of the bathroom, air will come in from somewhere else to replace it. Ideally the source of the replacement air (usually the door) will be diagonally opposite so the air travels across the entire room.

Capture.JPG

In reality it's not always possible to do this when the fan has to be sited on an external wall. So a ceiling fan can be a better solution.

If you were to have the window next to it open, the replacement air would simply come in through the window, and be sucked back out by the fan (it takes the easiest route of less resistance) so no steam would be collected from the rest of the bathroom.

Also to be considered. Is the fan suitable for the location it is installed in. If in Zone 1 (less than 2.25 metres from the floor when installed above a bath or shower) it needs to be suitably rated for such a location (IXP4 as a minimum).

Also to be considered. Is the fan suitable for the location it is installed in. If in Zone 1 (less than 2.25 metres from the floor when installed above a bath or shower) it needs to be suitably rated for such a location (IXP4 as a minimum
I may be wrong, often am, but is a an ELV fan not allowed in zone 1?

Sponsored Links
SELV fans are specifically designed for use in bathrooms and are also generally better than IPX4 anyway (sorry IXP4 was a typo) with an SELV fan, the power supply should be mounted outside of the bathroom zones.

A 230v fan would also require RCD protection.

Thanks chaps,

The door is on the opposite side of the room in the other corner so couldnt be further away really, aware i have to take a few cm off the bottom of the door...

When he came around to quote he informed me that due to location of bath/shower he would have to instal one suitable for the zones, - something i was aware of anyway and he's fitted it - previously the shower above the bath had been where the fan is, however this will now be flipped and it will now be on the other side so the fan will be in zone 2 - bath is 1.7m in length room is about 2m.

He fitted isolator etc in the cupboard with the hot water cylinder next door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back