Extractor fan motor...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to figure out if a motor like this one

Is kaput or not, it has 4 wires, 2 are neutrals that are tied together in a choc block & 2 are I'm assuming live inputs that go into the timer control board.

I've done a few tests & 1 live input has about 10ohms to neutral but the other appears to be open circuit suggesting a coil has burnt out or maybe some internal thermal protection has tripped?

Can anyone say if I'm barking up the right tree :)

Ps what is this motor type called? Does it have a name?

Sponsored Links
Figured out its a shaded pole motor, just need to know if it has 2 separate windings & why 1 appears open circuit.

Various reasons fro having two windings Most common would be a dual voltage motor ( 110~ windings in parallel or 230~ windings in serial ).

Far less common is using the fan motor as a transformer to supply an isolated supply for some purpose.

The second winding may be a sense coil to detect a stalled fan but most unlikely in any domestic equipment where a vane in the air flow or a pressure switch would be used to detect fan failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back