Extractor fan not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom extractor fan not working. This a model with inbuilt timer. I get 240v across brown & white. Has it just had its day & wants replacing?
fan.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is no white wire. The colours are brown, black and grey.

In your photo you missed out the cover which - I hope - says which terminal is which. Probably they are L, N and T?? Your first job is to test for voltage between N and L. You should get 230v. Then you need to test between N and T, there should be 230v with the light on and )v with the light off.

Please confirm your findings and we can advise further.

Sponsored Links
There is no white wire. The colours are brown, black and grey.

In your photo you missed out the cover which - I hope - says which terminal is which. Probably they are L, N and T?? Your first job is to test for voltage between N and L. You should get 230v. Then you need to test between N and T, there should be 230v with the light on and )v with the light off.

Please confirm your findings and we can advise further.
No details re wiring on the cover. Between Brown & Grey 230v no voltage on black. This is with light on.
Thanks for reply.

I seem to remember mine looking very dusty, and I believe someone said this is a contributing factor to it’s early demise, mine was simple on/off switch.

Possible reason - have a look at the electronics - specifically at the capacitors (the two blue coke can shaped items at bottom right of image). If their silver tops are slightly domed then these have failed and either need replacing (if you have a soldering iron) or a whole new fan unit.
Had to replace these on an extractor fan only last week. The hot resistor located right next to the capacitors had damaged them in only 4years.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Possible reason - have a look at the electronics - specifically at the capacitors (the two blue coke can shaped items at bottom right of image). If their silver tops are slightly domed then these have failed and either need replacing (if you have a soldering iron) or a whole new fan unit.
Had to replace these on an extractor fan only last week. The hot resistor located right next to the capacitors had damaged them in only 4years.
I dont mind replacement as long as the cables enter/terminate at the same place.

Try turning the power off at the DB/CU, move the yellow that goes into the black and put it in with the red, turn the power back on, does the fan run? (it should run all the time and not stop), put it all back as it was and report back

Try turning the power off at the DB/CU, move the yellow that goes into the black and put it in with the red, turn the power back on, does the fan run? (it should run all the time and not stop), put it all back as it was and report back
Just tried that, fan still no going.

Thanks anyway.

So just to confirm, when you were testing it, you had both the red and yellow from the fan to the brown comming in, and the black from the fan to the grey comming in. And you had previously got 240v between the brown and the grey?

So just to confirm, when you were testing it, you had both the red and yellow from the fan to the brown comming in, and the black from the fan to the grey comming in. And you had previously got 240v between the brown and the grey?
Sorry for delay in reply. Yes to what you have said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back