Fan not timing out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

Replaced an extractor fan like for like today (old one's bearings wearing out and getting noisy.)

At the same time I changed my ceiling rose and switch, but wired everything up the same again. Now when I pull the switch the light and fan come on together as before, but the fan does not turn off, even thought the timer is set to 1minute. Am I right in saying this has to be an issue with the fan's timer? I can't see how I've wired it incorrectly because it's coming on at the same time as the light which means live switch/polarity correct. The link to the fan in question is below. Thanks! (If i switch the 2 brown wires then the fan just instantly comes off when you turn the light off, there's no timed delay at all).

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-lp100st-15w-bathroom-extractor-fan-with-timer-white-240v/59811

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Does the fan ,after pull switch is to off ,still run after 20 mins ? If it does ,the timer is probably duff.

I haven't tested it up to 20 minutes just because ive got it set to 1 min; the manually says the little potentiometer goes from 1 to 30 minutes; so s ill let it run for the full 30 and let you know what happens!

Sponsored Links
What can you test it with?

Well I just mean that if its coming on with the light then surely the live switch is correct, and if i switch the two lives then the timer doesnt come into play, so in theory both switched live and constant live and correct. If there's a scenario when it can still come on correcttly nad not be wired correctly then please let me know because thats what im trying to work out! :)

If the fan comes ON when you turn on the light, then it must have turned off at some point! Need more information please.
Also, what test equipment do you have. In all these things, you need to absolutely confirm that the N, L And SL are intact and going what they should do.

I don’t doubt your abilities, but this is the part that throws a shadow
At the same time I changed my ceiling rose and switch, but wired everything up the same again.
We hear this sort of thing every week, it’s easy to mix things up.
Testing will confirm everything.

Cheers all - I tested the timer in a variety of positions and no matter where i turned the dial it timed out at 40mins. So I switched the circuit board from the old fan to the new one and all working fine! Thanks all - a dodgy fan indeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back