Extractor fan - override delay circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have an in-line extractor in the loft but the delay switch-off timer has failed so it's just running 24/7.
Supplier won't help with fresh PC board - expensive to buy new fan unit and what a waste!.
Anyone any ideas how to re-wire to override the delay circuit and have fan turning on and off with light?
Thanks all in advance
:)

Sponsored Links
Presumably you could just disconnect the permanent live so it only has switched live. Do it safely, ideally at the spur point of the supply to the fan or at the 3-pole isolator rather than just disconnecting at the fan and having a live bare wire end flapping around made 'safe' with insulation tape.

Sometimes the switched live to a fan is just used as signal, not as an actual supply, in which case doing that will stop the fan from working at all.

At the light switch just move the permanent live to the switched live.

thanks guys for the responses..
I actually snipped away the us PC board, switched the lives as suggested and now have fan coming on and off with light - excellento - and save £'s and minimal trash to the dump.
cheers all

Sponsored Links
I trust you have another form of ventilation in the room (eg a window).

If not you may need that over-run to clear away the steamy smellies, etc..

Yes there are widows in the bathroom - installed the extractor 'cos this room is on the cold side of the house so the extractor does well in keeping it steam, smells and condensation free.
cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back