Extractor fan question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, a quick question about the rules for extractor fans. My parents just had a bathroom remodel which included a new extractor fan. I just noticed that the fan only has a short bit of flexible hose lying on the loft floor, it is not vented to outside. I thought that the fan had to be vented to the outside, am I correct? We are in the UK

Sponsored Links
If it’s not vented to outside then i suspect your loft would get mouldy from the condensation.

Has it all been signed off? Either way take it up with them (the workers).

Sponsored Links
does the company you paid claim to be reputable?

It is a reputable company, I don't think there has been any inspection or sign off by the council. I am just trying to find out if external venting is a regulation requirement before I go back to the builder. I get my UK vs USA regulations mixed up.

Its more of Common Sense your Loft space will suffer from damp due to condensation if the extractor is not vented outside .

The rules are that customers pay for things to be done right. So get the contractors back to install the fan correctly vented to the external air.

It needs venting out either via a Vent on the Soffitt ( if you have one ) or through a Tile Vent , or as others say there’ll be problems in the Loft space in the future .

Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back