Extractor Fan slow and light dim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just moved into a new house (in Canada) and the previous owner took the bathroom light with them so I am trying to install a new one.
There is one light switch in the bathroom that operates both the main light and an exhaust fan.
I have the following wires protruding from the ceiling where the previous light was: 2 black wires (spliced with wire nut), 2 white wires (spliced) and a set with one white and one black (spliced).
The light I am connecting is from IKEA and has one white and one black wire. I tried connecting the white to the white pair and black to the black pair which results in the light being always on (regardless of switch position). I also tried separating the white/black pair and connecting these to the light. This has worked but now the light is very dim (regardless of bulb wattage) and the fan is very slow.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Mary.

welcome aboard, but please try and post in correct forum, your post has been moved

Sponsored Links
try connecting the neutral of your fitting to the white pair and the live to the black/white pair.

Sponsored Links
Back