adding a second light from a switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the power coming into a wall light then to a switch. The wiring is......Power in black connected to the white from the switch, power in white to the white on the light, black from the light to the black on the switch. I want to add an other wall light , 8ft from the 1st light by connecting to the wires on the switch, this saves me ripping out a bunch of dry wall from light to light. Can it be done? I am in Canada, than for your help.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need to 'rip out' any wall anyway. Simple locate the timbers, use a holesaw to remove board over them, notch for the cable, run it through, and fix the cutout back over. Fill, sand, and paint.

I don't know about Canada but that is not allowed in England. The cables have to be in the centre of the wall not 15mm below the surface.

Sponsored Links
I don't know about Canada but that is not allowed in England. The cables have to be in the centre of the wall not 15mm below the surface.

Uhm.. The cables have to be RCD protected if they're less than 50mm from the surface of the wall, and a safe plate (simple steel plate with teeth) should be used to prevent screws or nails being driven into the cable, but so far as I know, no reg says cables can't run on the other side of the plasterboard.

Back