Extractor fan: switched live from light switch ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing an extractor fan which will be protected by an isolator switch outside the room but for various reasons, it will be easier to run the switched live directly from the light switch rather than the ceiling rose, i.e. twist the switched lives for both the light and the fan together and inserted into a single pole switch.

Is this ok practice? I can do it from the ceiling rose, its just going to be a pain.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your problem is that the connections at the switch itself will only be a live and a switched live. You will need a neutral as well. Is there a neutral behind the switch?

NOTE. A black or blue wire is not necessarily a neutral!

Sponsored Links
From where would you get the supply for the "FCU" ??

You cannot, and must not, have the live & neutral coming from a different source to the switched live.

All of the supplies = live, neutral and switched live must come from the same source (ie the bathroom lighting feed).

Yes, and why an FCU??

I hope you have washed your hands properly after looking at the Ultimate Handyman web site.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back