Switching a switched live?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Looking at installing an extractor fan and spot lights for the new bathroom. Her indoors doesn't want the fan on with the lights and wants the spots to be dimmers.

Now, there are only switched lives at both the rose and the light switch and i can't access above the ceiling to try and find the jb with a permanent live.

I realise it's not safe to take the live direct for the shower circuit but is it ok to use the switched live from the lights and switch that? Not ideal i know but would just mean the fan would only run when lights are on and the switch is on.
Also if this is possible can you get switches which have 1 gang dim and 1 normal 1 way? Or should i get a seperate pull?
While i'm asking are 240v spots ok for bathroom as the low volt transformers are always going on the kitchen ones.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Looking at installing an extractor fan and spot lights for the new bathroom. Her indoors doesn't want the fan on with the lights and wants the spots to be dimmers.

Now, there are only switched lives at both the rose and the light switch and i can't access above the ceiling to try and find the jb with a permanent live.

Surely there must be a permanent live at the light switch ?

I realise it's not safe to take the live direct for the shower circuit but is it ok to use the switched live from the lights and switch that? Not ideal i know but would just mean the fan would only run when lights are on and the switch is on.
Also if this is possible can you get switches which have 1 gang dim and 1 normal 1 way? Or should i get a seperate pull?

Yes, you could use a grid switch, presuming this is outside the bathroom.
You will need a DP switch in one gang, a fuse in another, (for the fan) and the dimmer for lights in a third.

While i'm asking are 240v spots ok for bathroom as the low volt transformers are always going on the kitchen ones.

Cheers.

Yes, providing in correct zone and appropriately IP rated.

You can get dimmers which have two outputs - one full load and one variable. I've never bought one, but come across them in houses from time to time. Check that your fan is rated to run on 6A.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the response.
Realised my mistake ref the permanent live and the switch laying in bed last night! :oops: Bit embarassing but nevermind. Not an electric ian anyway actually.
Probably easier to put the fan on a seperate fused pull switch then? I wasn't sure whether the fan needed fusing seperately as i have seen them on normal switches off the lighting circuit breaker only.
Ta

Realised my mistake ref the permanent live and the switch laying in bed last night!
Well maybe you know the reality, but you haven't disclosed it here.

Not an electric ian anyway actually.
Electric Alan?

Probably easier to put the fan on a seperate fused pull switch then?
Easier than what? You're not making any sense man! :eek:

I wasn't sure whether the fan needed fusing seperately as i have seen them on normal switches off the lighting circuit breaker only.
Are you still unsure?

Preferably one who starts panting with excitement at the mention of the following letters: RCBO... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back