Extractor fan too near window lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been doing up my kitchen and it has just occurred to me that extractor fan has been put in far to close to the lintel for the kitchen window. Specifically it is about 100mm directly below where the lintel rests on the brickwork, see photo.

View media item 52674
It's an ex council house and you can clearly see that next door have had an extractor fan in exactly the same location than has subsequently been moved. I am surmising that the fan was fitted by the council at some point in the past, and at a later date after this house was purchase off the council they realized that the extractor fan location was a bad idea and moved it.

Assuming that this is a dumb place to drill a core for an extractor fan, would it be ok to squirt some expanding foam into the cavity, trim as necessary and then fill the holes in either side with some concrete, before making good? Obviously I would need to put in other extraction facilities to meet building regulations, but I can arrange for those not to be directly under the lintel bearing :)

Sponsored Links
remember the hole wouldav been cut round which makes it stronger ,,poss be ok left ? if i do fill hole ,,remember ul bridge the cavity if u fill with foam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back