Extractor fan using old downpipe vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The previous owner of my home had the bathroom done up. This included capping the down pipe (which had previously ran up the corner of the bathroom through the loft and vented out the roof). The down pipe now ends next to the toilet tank but the vent in the roof is still in place and sits in the loft on top of the bathroom ceiling. (Hope that makes sense). We now have an issue of damp on the bathroom ceiling as the vent is a cool spot and condensation builds up.

I would like to utilise the old down pipe vent by attaching an extractor fan but unsure if this needs to be done by an electrician or if it can be done with a standard extractor fan and fit it myself. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links
You could connect the extractor fan to the redundant vent pipe but you would need to fit a condensation trap and drain pipe to collect and dispose of water ( condensation and rain ) from the vent pipe.

Does the capped soil stack comply with building regulations ? A vent pipe is essential to ensure pressure cannot build up in the sewer system.

Without adequate venting of the sewers flushing an upstairs toilet can result in sewer gas bubbling out of downstairs toilets, sinks or wash basins.

I think you can get an " air admittance valve " to let air into the soil pipe but keep the smell etc in.

Sponsored Links
I think you can get an " air admittance valve " to let air into the soil pipe but keep the smell etc in.
Yes you can but some DIYers and some "plumbers" have been known to simply cap the pipe and not fit an air admittance valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back