Extractor fan wire colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a cooker extractor fan that I want to check but unsure of the wire orientation. There are 5, Black, Blue, Orange, Yellow and White. 1 must be Live? 1 must be Neutral? and the others the different speeds. Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Without a circuit diagram, which I doubt very much you will find, the only way to tell what each wire does is measure the voltage on them with respect to neutral or earth with the speed control in the various positions.

Sponsored Links
As you said there will probaly be live & neutral @230V (possibly black & blue) & the other 3 will have proportionally reducing volts wrt neutral or earth. Use a multi meter across each wire to earth to establish the lives & then measure the controller pairs for continuity & identify the conducting pairs for each speed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back