Extractor Fan Wiring Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there DIYnot :)

I was recently given a second hand extractor fan from a cooker hood and I want to wire it up. It didn't come with any paperwork or diagrams so I was hoping someone would be able to help me work out how to go about this.

The fan's model number is CH60SS, here it is on a spares website. A sticker on the fan informs me that it is 220-240V, 50Hz and 140W. It also features two lamp sockets, a switch assembly and a capacitor.

I'm not too bothered about the switches or lamp sockets so I would be happy to bypass them if it makes it easier. However all of this is already wired together, so maybe it's easy to leave it. Anyway, I made a diagram of how it is wired at the moment. I presume it hasn't been tampered with and everything is in the correct place so I think I just need to know how to wire the mains cable.

The block with numbers is one of those plastic block terminal things that come in strips. The two blank squares up and right from this I think are just terminals to join the wires. I accidently JPEGed the diagram pretty bad so in case any of the colours aren't clear I'll write them bellow:

1). Brown to Lamp
2). Brown to Switch
3). Blue to Fan
4). Blue to Switch
5). Red to Fan
6). Red to Switch
7). Black to Fan
8 ). Black to Switch
9). Blank
10). Purple to Switch
11). Blank
12). White to Switch
& Grey to Lamp
& Brown to Motor

Capacitor: Blue to White to Fan
& Light Brown to Orange to Fan

Thanks for any help guys!

Sponsored Links
Have you any details on the switching arrangement as I would expect the primary connection to made to the switch first.
They usually come with pre-fixed flex seems this has been removed.
By the way it's originally from a B&Q range/product.

Not sure what you plan to do with this fan if it can be made to work?

My first thought was
Throw fan away

Sponsored Links
I plan to construct a simple extraction hood myself for use in my garage workshop. Just so I can feel comfortable using light solvents and the such indoors. Nothing too toxic. Certainly I'm prepared to chuck the fan away if it fails, but as a freebie that is just what I am looking for I thought I'd give it a try. After all, I enjoy such DIY projects and the learning they bring; I'm sure you guys understand that :D

So as for the switch. The only details I have are what I can see from opening it up so here goes...

There are a total of 5 buttons on the switch assembly. The first is labelled by a circle with an x in the middle, then they are numbered 0-3. Observations are as follows:

x - first button, distinct from others. Push and it stays in, push again and it springs out. Perhaps the master on/off switch.

0 - Push and it pops strait back to where it started. Also resets switches 1-3. No wire leading here although there is a hole for a wire. I guess it's just a reset switch with an obsolete wire hole.

1-3 - Push and they stay down. Push a different button (1-3) and that button will be down instead or press 0 and it will reset.

There's also a circuit chip and another small hole between switches 0 and 1 labelled with just the letter 'L'. This is where the purple wire leads.

Here's a diagram illustrating which colours go where:

So yes, I was also thinking 9 live, 11 neutral and the 'L' where the purple wire leads strengthens this thought. The fan doesn't have any metal casing though, it's all plastic. I guess the original cooker hood would have been metal and suitable to earth. What should I do about Earthing this set up do you think?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Light solvents

CAUTION, an extractor used to extract inflammable gases needs to be chosen very carefully. A spark from a switch contact or a brush in the motor could ignite the fumes from solvents.

A very low risk but not insignificant.

The risk is increased if the fan is turned on after some lighter than air fumes have accumulated in the hood and ducting.

blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
plus_one.gif

If its like most extract fans, the 1-3 buttons will control the fan speed.

The X button is probably the lights. The fan and lights are usually switched separately.

Thanks for the word of caution and all your advice, seems like a good forum :)

I wired it up and it runs, just extremely slowly. I guess that it's just knackered. Any last suggestions before I bin it?

And you appear to be right about the switches. x = lights, 0-3 = speed.

I read that most cooker hoods are double insulated and don't need earths so I didn't earth if anyone finds this thread who is hoping to wire their own.

Cheers.

My first thought was
Throw fan away

PS
When an appliance is manufactured as being double insulated, the maker designs the external shell so that it is either made of insulating material (eg a lawn mower) or that there is not way that the outside can become live under fault conditions.

The component parts are not necessarily double insulated in their own right. SO you may be at risk if a fault develops. Your safety is your own responsibility. I'd be earthing anything that is an exposed-conductive-part.

Thanks for the word of caution and all your advice, seems like a good forum :)

Better quote that. Don't hear that very often :LOL:

See if the fan rotates freely, and add a small amout of oil in the right place if it doesn't.

But probably not worth the trouble of fitting for your use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back