Extractor Fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this property was refurbished recently for a family member and the contractor did not finish job due to issues that had arisen. This extractor fan that can be seen in photos, has been left disconnected and has a 6 core wire coming out of extractor fan. I have looked at a few electrical diagrams that I found on internet and can see that the wire usually coming out and connecting to a double pole socket is 2 core + e. I just needed to clarify where to wire existing cable and how to complete wiring to get the fan up and running again, for some reason contractor had left the wire cut. Thanks in advance and photos are attached.

20180314_093219.jpg
20180314_093243.jpg

20180311_104538.jpg
20180314_091820.jpg

Attachments

• 20180314_093229.jpg
    20180314_093229.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 242
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
.... This extractor fan that can be seen in photos, has been left disconnected and has a 6 core wire coming out of extractor fan. .... I just needed to clarify where to wire existing cable and how to complete wiring to get the fan up and running again ...
What you have is unusual. As you say, there are usually just two connections for a 'basic' fan, or three for a 'timer' one. Can you ascertain the make and model of the fan (it should say so somewhere!) - which may help us to find out something about it.

Kind Regards, John

Nevertheless...

I think it must have (or need) a controller at the other end of all those cores.

One of those that has in and out settings like the old Vent Axia, perhaps?

Looking at the condition of the fan, they did not refurbish that! It’s the original fan- they probably thought it’s too tricky to change as it is set into the window.

I can just glean that it is a Greenwood. Can you advise the model please?

Sponsored Links
I'd be getting a glazier in personally and losing both of those ugly-ass fans.

Both rooms have opening windows so no requirement for a fan and the bathroom window even has an air vent built into it.

I've been somewhat trying to find a zone 1 suitable centrifugal fan (I know these aren't CF) for a while (no access to cabling) but I've basically given up. It's option B for that job. Very few people seem to make Z1 230v fans.

What you have is unusual. As you say, there are usually just two connections for a 'basic' fan, or three for a 'timer' one. Can you ascertain the make and model of the fan (it should say so somewhere!) - which may help us to find out something about it.

Kind Regards, John

I did look for make and model and I only know that the make is a Greenwood and model possibly Eco. Had searched web for further details but no luck. I have come to the conclusion that I will get rid and install a new one!

Apologies for the confusion of multiple threads, they were both to do with extractor fans but in different locations and different issues.

I'd be getting a glazier in personally and losing both of those ugly-ass fans.

Both rooms have opening windows so no requirement for a fan and the bathroom window even has an air vent built into it.

Good suggestion about the openable windows but would prefer to keep them. Extractor fan in kitchen will be replacing but now need to come to a conclusion on how to tackle the safe installation on the current or new extractor fan in bathroom without changing situ and without leaving a possible dangerous situation.

The fan will need to comply with the requirements for whatever Zone that the fan is situated in.

And in relation to the wiring and possible isolation switch that will be located in zone one above the shower, as you can see from the photos, this is something I will need to look at to see if it is acceptable for it to be located there and cables connecting to fan within trunking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back