Extractor vent hole too big

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
We were in need of a bathroom extractor fitting,
My friend or not now lol, said he will come round and drill the hole and fit a vent, then I was getting an electrician round to fit the fan and wiring etc.
To cut a long story short he bought a monrose internal fit wall kit, he drilled a 127mm hole as that's the only bit he had , he says the flange / seal will cover on the outside once he screws it in place inside the loft ( hole going out the gable end).
From inside all looks well but from outside the seal has gone inside the hole, so it's not sat on the bricks outside.
Is there a remedy to smaller then cored hoke down to 117mm, is there a sleeve or something that could be bought, he did apologise and says he will sort it but had to shoot off, im not too trusting now, it's gonna be a job to get the end part pushed back out now , ( read the instructions).
Any ideas? Access from outside is very tricky due to a severely sloped driveway.

Sponsored Links
20220615_194818.jpg

Sponsored Links
What a mess! You rather get the right core but or don't do it, as above get adaptor or vent just a are on I'd get a valve for your soil pipe as you may get smells through the extractor , wouldn't of been a issue before you vent as there's no window

Thanks all.
It's just the access from outside is a no go without more expense, I just can't afford that expense at the minute.

Until you can afford it stick.one.of these on for £3 it willstopbirdsand bees going in it, it's flat on the back

Attachments

• 81zyXamFUxL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    81zyXamFUxL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 44
Can you lift a 5" vent up from the ground outside, on a string? Then position it from inside. If you get a round vent, you should be able to make it look fine. Pre-silicone the 4" - 5" adapter, so the vent stays put.

There’s no window in the pic, ignore that I’m assuming you mean through the vent phatboy… only issue with that is you
Can’t see if it’s level

There’s no window in the pic, ignore that I’m assuming you mean through the vent phatboy… only issue with that is you
Can’t see if it’s level

Yes through the vent hole.

Well from inside you should be able to see if the horizontal lines are correct, or take a peek outside quickly. If it cannot be seen from outside either.... probably wont matter!

Silicone takes 1hr or more to go off, so you would get a bit of adjustment time.

Thanks its all food for thought and good ideas, there is a window in the bathroom but the missus won't open it (scared of creepy crawlies) the windows right in the bath/shower area so at angles you would be seen naked lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back