Extractor vent in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put in an inline extractor fan in the cavity loft in the bathroom just above the shower.The steam from the shower does not get sucked in and fills the room.I replaced the fan with a more powerfull fan and its still the same.Im at my wits end with this thing as the walls are dripping wet.Im now thinking it could be the position of the vent ,but surely above the shower is the best position.

Sponsored Links
Where does it vent out too. Also in line fans usually have back draft flaps. If the fan put on the wrong way the fins dont open. Just double check.

It vents to the outside,i has has a back draft flap ,you can hear it open when i i turn the light switch on.

Sponsored Links
Soler and Palau TD500 silent.I actually bought the wrong one as i wanted the one with timer,this one switches off with light switch

Well not a cheap 30 quid one then. Some have little dials to alter the fan speed check that is set higher. Also double check all connecttions of the duct work. Check the fan is suitable for the diameter and length of ducting you have.

Please show us some photos of the ducting and the external vent.

It sounds like it is obstructed

Silly question but would the fan need direct feed from mains as currently it has the feed from the light ,it has this feed,like i said i bought the wrong model and direct feed means its constantly on.The ducting is actually smaller than than the fan outlet as the previous fan had 4 inch outlet,this is 6 inch which is currently connected via 6 to 4 inch adapter,hope that makes sense

15729900403905563364280746843166.jpg

Its not obstructed as i only installed it this morning

The external vent please.

If you take off that ceiling mushroom, does it suck better?

Will take a pic tommorow too dark,but there is a proper vent there.There is hardly any suction there with and without it.Ive put a tissue there and i have to put it in the ducting to see the suction.If i put my hand to seal it again hardly any suction.

With a bit more investigating found out that the bach draft flap was installed the wrong way,so it was actually closing when it should have been opening.Glad it was that simple but fuming with the guy that installed it for me.Thanks for your input guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back