Extractor vent location.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan on getting a spark in to do some work soon. Looking for opinions.

I'm going to get an extractor and downlights fitted in a false ceiling I'll fit in the below bathroom.

View media item 45832
I plan on dropping the ceiling to just above the window so there will be a void of about 700mm.

Where is the best place to vent the extractor, bearing in mind the following:

- The exterior wall (straight ahead in the picture) is stone and will be about a foot thick so would be a pain to drill.

- I plan on doing a loft conversion (loft directly above) so don't really want ducting to a roof vent tile that I'll need to get moved.

- I've seen ducting going to window vents. Would I be better getting a window with a vent done?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
The exterior wall (straight ahead in the picture) is stone and will be about a foot thick so would be a pain to drill.
What type of stone ?

Granite blockwork will be time consuming but a core drill will get through most stone eventually. The cot of hiring one is well worth it. Read the safety instructions before using it.

Soft stone can be easier to core than some bricks.

If it is a rubble and mortar wall then it is sometimes possible to "excavate" a route through by removing stones rather than core drilling. Then replace the stones around the duct using lime mortar.

Window vents look awful, especially the type you describe "ducting going to a window vent". This sounds like a tumble dryer hose permentnaly connected to a window pane :eek:

A decent (housebashing) sparkie will have a core drill suitable for this job, or you can hire one for about £50 for the day.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Back again.

Looking around at fans and vents it seems 100mm fans and ducting are standard and 5" vents are standard.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roo...on/5" Core Drill Vent Kit /d250/sd2747/p89675

Is the norm. to use a reducer or am I missing something?

I doubt the spark I'm getting in will have the gear (or enthusiam) to drill the wall so I'll probably end up drilling and fitting the vent myself.

cheers.

Why would you want a reducer?
Drill the hole the right size for the fan.

Alternatively if it's a gable wall, take it up inside and through the roof. If you use a round-to-rectangular adaptor, then the rectangular duct flat against the inside of the gable to the roof, when you do your loft out, the dry-walling will cover the duct.

Also you'd be better off with a fan with automatic shutter. Cuts down on heat loss through the permanently open vent.

Why would you want a reducer?
Drill the hole the right size for the fan.

The core vent and lining part seem to all be 5" (like in the link). Yet ducting & fans are 100mm

Alternatively if it's a gable wall, take it up inside and through the roof. If you use a round-to-rectangular adaptor, then the rectangular duct flat against the inside of the gable to the roof, when you do your loft out, the dry-walling will cover the duct.

Also you'd be better off with a fan with automatic shutter. Cuts down on heat loss through the permanently open vent.

I'll look into both those points. Cheers!

I like the sound of this SNM.

Are these fans any good?

http://www.justfans.co.uk/auto-shutter-100mm-p-656.html

Then flexi ducting to round/rectangle adaptor,
- rectangle flat channel up the wall.
- another adaptor to flexi ducting

then one of these -

http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-inline-slate-vent/43099

Is that the best option?

Thanks for the advice.

rectangular duct flat against the inside of the gable to the roof, when you do your loft out, the dry-walling will cover the duct.
It will be absolutely essential to ensure that the ducting isn't on the cold side of any insulation.

rectangular duct flat against the inside of the gable to the roof, when you do your loft out, the dry-walling will cover the duct.
It will be absolutely essential to ensure that the ducting isn't on the cold side of any insulation.

Cheers.

Yeah, I can imagine condensation running along the ducting and dripping all over the place.

Going through the roof is not ideal as I plan to add Dormers sooner rather than later.

There is no easy option it seems......

... ensure that the ducting isn't on the cold side of any insulation.

I'm assuming you're concern is condensation on the inside of the duct running down BAS.

So what's the solution when running a duct through a loft? Insulation against wall first, then the duct?

I guess that meant you're going to have a mini chimney breast in your loft SWAT. :(

So what's the solution when running a duct through a loft?
Sometimes it's "you can't".

I guess that meant you're going to have a mini chimney breast in your loft SWAT. :(
There are no exemptions from the laws of physics.

Solid walls, and a duct on the cold side of internal insulation - I can easily envisage the condensate freezing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back