F&E (header) tank question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

just a thought after my fun this week (and last) trying to fix my heating system...

i'm wondering whether to untie the ballcock or leave it tied up?

my reasoning being;

without leaks surely the system doesn't really lose any volume so doesn't require 'topping up' from the tank?

the tank is half full anyway allowing for a little top-up if the system draws on it.

my thinking being if you have a major leak on the circuit you're only going to have a loss of what's in the pipework + the half tank?

whereas with it being permanently fed you're risking the mother of all floods??

just a thought...please let me know if i'm barking up the wrong tree because i am a novice and had no idea how it all works until these last few days

thanks

Sponsored Links
The tank should not be half full. See FAQ.

Should be about 100 mm when system cold.

Is it all working again now?

Tony

The tank should not be half full. See FAQ.

Should be about 100 mm when system cold.

Is it all working again now?

Tony

amazingly it does all seem to be working!! i can't believe it:eek:

it's slightly more than 100mm but not by much.

no reason to leave the ballcock tied up then? (see above)

i didn't really lose any water during the work and put back in what i got out, so it shouldn't have got diluted. i might stick a bit of inhibitor in anyway, can't do any harm.

Sponsored Links
makes you wonder why there is a ball cock in there ???? surely it would have been better just to fill the tank with a bucket, think you are on to something there

That's not a new idea. I recall viewing a house that had a ceramic "vessel" on a upstairs wall which you topped up with water as and when needed. Servowarm? I assume it wasn't a good idea as it didn't catch on.

From my childhood I can recall a relative filling a header tank using a stirrup pump. The house was at the top of a hill and maybe the mains water pressure was too low to get a supply to the top of the house.

The vase on the wall was indeed Servowarm;)

You could seal the system up and get rid of the header tank and ball valve completely - put in a vessel and a filling loop. Not a lot involved and it'll keep your system water in perfect condition.
And you'll have no more risk of continuous feed to a leak :)

That could be read as you might be believing that a sealed and pressurised system has no risk of a leak. :?:

The filling loop would ( should ) not provide continuous feed but only provide a feed when pressure has to be manually topped up after some water has disappeared ( leaked ? ) from the system.

That could be read as you might be believing that a sealed and pressurised system has no risk of a leak. :?:

The filling loop would ( should ) not provide continuous feed but only provide a feed when pressure has to be manually topped up after some water has disappeared ( leaked ? ) from the system.

I know the implications as a plumber! OP: needs to study further... I was simply making a suggestion to move to sealed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back