F&E Tank height above Radiator level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Open Vented system
A friend of mine has a converted Oast House and wants a radiator in the gallery area which currently suffers from damp due to lack of heating / ventiliation. This is roughly level with the F&E tank in his loft area.

How high above the highest radiator (ie new one in the gallery) would you need to raise the F&E tank to avoid overspill from the Vent pipe ?

Also, and having seen other threads referring to the CWSC, would this also need to be raised at the same time ?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Usual rule of thumb is F&E tank 1 m min above top of highest rad.

No.

Although some might say it would be better if it was ( but I would not! ).

Tony

The cold water storage tank should be above the level of the F&E tank. This is to prevent possible contamination of hot water if there is a pin hole leak of the cylinder coil.

Sponsored Links
After seeing the contents of some cylinders and CWST's I think a bit of x100 in your shampoo might be a healthier option! :D

Ok, Have checked the available space and there is sufficient room to raise the F&E tank at least 500mm above the highest Rad whilst allowing the vent pipe to raise 450mm above the F&E tank. From what I have read this would seem ok!?

Thanks

The cold water storage tank should be above the level of the F&E tank. This is to prevent possible contamination of hot water if there is a pin hole leak of the cylinder coil.

So how is that achieved in the 70% of homes with a combi?

Tony

you been at the sauce tony
surprised-013.GIF

Can anybody please confirm if raising the F&E tank by 4-500mm above the highest rad is more than sufficient? Thanks

p.s. Thought this was a forum to raise questions and ask for help rather than a point scoring exercise!

Can anybody please confirm if raising the F&E tank by 4-500mm above the highest rad is more than sufficient? Thanks

If the system is working OK at the moment with no pumping over, adding a radiator at this level won't make any difference in that respect.

Get as much of a head as possible and the worst that could happen is the new radiator might be slow to fill/bleed.
(A long low level radiator would help maximise the head.)

There can be problems with negative pressure in upstairs radiators (can't be bled while the pump is running as they suck in air) where the layout of pump, vent and fill pipes is non-standard, but in a modern system that shouldn't be a problem.

My advice above was that 1m above the top was the rule of thumb.

I would always want to achieve that on any installation I was working on.

If there is limited space then I would convert the F&E tank to a combined vent and feed so that the vent only needs to be just above the rim of the tank. I find that 1m to be important to avoid any problems.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back