Ventpipe in F&E Tank is constantaly running.....

Blocked cold feed? How's that cause pumping over (not questioning anybody's answer just curious)? I guess that because water cannot expand up cold feed it goes up vent? But surely it would do this for a while and then because no more water comes in via cold feed to replace (because it is blocked) then water out of vent stops...?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies, ok some answers:-

1, Chemical used to flush the system was Sentinel XR400 Sludge Remover, was left in system for a number of weeks to get sediment to shift and be suspended in circuit water before finally being flushed out.

2. No the radiators have not been removed. Although I may do this just to flush them through with a hose to check all the sludge is all out?

3. I will grab some photo's of the pipework around the pump and post them.

Question is the water in the F&E brown? if yes you will most likely have problems in the future with radiators starting to leak because they rust from inside.
I would suggest that this system is pumping over more to do with wrong siting of the cold feed pipe and any blockages/sludge are not the cause.
The cold feed pipe connection is the neutral point of the system ie where the pump stops sucking and starts pushing.
The golden rule back in years gone by was to make the cold feed the last connection to the return pipe and the vent pipe the first connection to the flow or seperate connections direct to the top and bottom of the boiler, Harp heating used to use the H system where the flow was taken from the boiler to the airing cupboard where it joined an air seperator which had a pipe from the top rising up to the f&e cold feed coming down straight into the suction side of the pump which was vertical and inverted this made all of the system under positive pressure so aiding venting of system with pump running, the only part of the system under negative pressure was the small section where the cold feed and open vent was so no pump over.

This may seem like a history lessen but i would bet a pound to penny that your cold feed and open vent are piped wrong.

Sponsored Links
But he said it HAS been pumping over since he moved in...

"The vent pipe was constantly running into the old F&E tank before I changed it and the pump"

Seco i'm saying this because i have seen this problem and ifxed it by either resiting pump or cold feed 100's of times especially when i was doing pub work back in the 80's lovely jobs free beer with everyone.

its pumping over end of.
pump needs positioning correctly.
people used to try and get over this by using a dip loop
but you cannot circulate your heating through the header.

just as an aside when i moved into my property i foung the cold feed to the shower was off the c/h header.

honey i furnoxed the kids :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back