F28 - Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Last night I got alternating codes 'F.54 Fault Appliance Start' and 'F.28 Failure in startup Ignition Unsuccessful'. I pressed the black ignite button and the screen lit up saying 'loading..' Then I heard some whirring noises as it presumably tried a few times to ignite because a burner icon flashed on and off a few times. And then it displayed the fault codes again. I tried this a couple of times with no success. I left it for half an hour and came back to try again. This time I turned the main white power button off and then on again, and then I pressed the ignite button. This time it worked and now I have hot water again. I guess I must have reset it. I'm concerned it might happen again. Probably related, but about a couple of weeks ago whilst taking a shower the water went cold. I turned the shower off and then on again and the water got hot again. I've had two incidents of that. Does that and the F.28 sound like a gas valve or sparking electrode issue in the boiler causing intermittent problems?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a lack of gas reaching the burner, but you would need a registered gas installer to inspect it to find out, its not a diy issue to fix.

Id be a little suspect that the shower went down during use though, that would likley be unrelated to F28/54 as it wouldnt come back on without resetting the boiler so there may be more than one issue in the system. But it if continues to happen then it will need looked at by a pro.

Yep, sounds like a lack of gas, only thing you could check from a consumers perspective, is to check to make sure that the emergency control valve at the gas meter is fully upright. If this is ok, then as per @ScottishGasMan you need it looking at by a professional, it could be a number of things.

Sponsored Links
Chris and SGM, thank you for putting up a helpful reply :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back