failed electric certificate for rented property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just had a full electrical test done to a property we are about to let.
the electrician informs me that the lighting circuit has been failed on the account that he thinks there is mouse damage somewhere .
he also informs me that the only way around rectifying the problem is to do a full re wire on the lighting circuit approx ball park cost £600.
can you please inform me if there is test that can be carried out to pin point the damage to the circuit? or acost effective way to resolve the problem.
Also is it an offence to allow some one to rent the property when something like this has been noted?
thank you !

Sponsored Links
You mean you are prepared to let a property to a tenant when you are aware of an electrical fault.

Health & Safety also the 2003 Housing Act come into mind for a start.

For the sake of one month's rent get it sorted!!!

agree with DESL - as for the rest, it rather depends what he means by 'failed', though the most likely is an insulation resistance failure.

*IF* it is an isolated case of damage it should be possible to track it down with the right tester, knowledge and by breaking the circuit down to isolate the faulty part and then replacing just the part in question, but there are rather more variables involved, including the age of the installation, things that may have to be done before the electrician can do any work on the property, etc.

Whether that is an option or not and whether that would be cheaper in your case I can't say without more information. You sound as if you think the electrician is trying to take you for a ride?

£600 does sound a lot for a lighting circuit rewire, but I have no idea of what that involves - perhaps you should ask for a detailed quote.

There may or may not be a specific offence of letting the property in that state, but any landlord's insurance you have will almost certainly be null and void, not to mention that you could end up in court if god forbid something happened.

If you have paid for the test you should have received a certificate stating the failed results? Having those might enable us to give you a better idea, but for a better idea consider a second opinion from a different local electrician if you are unsure.

No!! not prepared to rent in this condition.
seeking advice on the most cost effective way to repair !!
will it need re wiring or is there a way to pin point area of damage?
thakn you

Sponsored Links
thank's guys!!!
i have not been given the certificate yet,only got the call today.
i will get back when i have the results.he did say if was probably mice damage in the loft. i will put it too him regarding the test to isolate!!
thank you

The only 'certificate' of a fixed wiring electrical installation that complies with British Standards which applies to an existing installation is called a Periodic Inspection Report. It is detailed in British Standard 7671 (IEE Wiring Regulations 16th Edition - and now 17th Edition).

A Periodic Inspection Report does not have a pass or fail. It has satisfactory or Unsatisfactory.

As regards the mouse damage, unless it has been seen by the naked eye, it is likely to be a guess or made up. The relevant test on the suspect circuit cabling is an Insulation Resistance test. This will determine if the suspect cable complies with the Regulations for that particular test. However, even if it passes, one cannot rule out rodent damage but this can only be established by the naked eye.

The main purpose of a Periodic Inspection Report is to determine whether an electrical installation is satisfactory for continued use for its intended purpose. It's a bit like an MOT for a car. It won't necessarily pick up every little thing, but it should determine whether or not the installation is still 'road worthy'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back