failed psu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The psu failed in a workmates pc a few months back, the pc would turn on and the fans would go into overdrive but nothing else would happen. you had to turn off the power at the socket to stop it, a local computer guy diagnosed and fixed it. a few days ago the computer failed to turn on altogether, no fans or any sign of power so i took the side off and following an online guide tested the psu and there is no output from it. is there any reason for it to fail again so soon?
Its quite a high spec machine that is used a lot for gaming and the power supply is an atx 500

Sponsored Links
Need to confirm that is what was replaced by the computer shop a few months ago.

It could just be a general fault on the PSU - internal fuse, for example. Also the Wattage main be too low depending on the amount of other hardware in the PC.

If the PSU was replaced, I would hope the guy replaced with a new one so you should be able to return it for a warranty replacement. As it is a repair he may only warranty the parts for a couple of months or what ever, but I think you should still be able to get a replacement.

If all else fails you can buy and fit and new one - very easy to do usually - just make sure you get a similar type (20 or 24pin motherboard connectors etc.)

He did replace the psu, it was a family friend so i would hope he told me the truth. I can replace it myself but wondered what could cause it to go again, im assuming he replaced it like for like with another 500w unit
Does 500w seem about right for a decent spec machine?

He did replace the psu, it was a family friend so i would hope he told me the truth. I can replace it myself but wondered what could cause it to go again, im assuming he replaced it like for like with another 500w unit
Does 500w seem about right for a decent spec machine?

looking at some on ebay it does look like the psu in it is available for £7 so maybe that is what he did and charged me £50

Sponsored Links
PSU are classed as FRU's (Field Replacmenet Units) so shouldn't be fixed, only replaced, which as you said is what he did.
But he could have used an older one, and/or it may not be a quality psu and thus not supply a constant voltage to your components.

Give us the spec of your pc AND psu....

oooh looks like an older pc then running an Athlon on socket 754?
Integrated vga and DDR ram.
That rig wouldn't require more than 400w to run really.
BUT anything higher and of quality would be better of course.

You can buy 500w psu's for about £15 now that should be able to power that rig fine.

you get what you pay for with PSU's, and cheap is usually cheap for a reason. Check out www.scan.co.uk - they have plenty at decent prices. imo, it's a component worth spending more than £15 on, as if it goes titsup, it has the potential to take out an entire PC (and then some in worst case!)

If the PSU was replaced, I would hope the guy replaced with a new one so you should be able to return it for a warranty replacement. As it is a repair he may only warranty the parts for a couple of months or what ever, but I think you should still be able to get a replacement.

Given that he replaced the psu- surely the customer is entitled to a full years warranty (assuming that the psu is new- and that the client was not advised that an old psu would be used)?

Having failed so early implies that it was possibly over stretched (below spec) or not of merchantable quality.

PSU are classed as FRU's (Field Replacmenet Units) so shouldn't be fixed, only replaced, which as you said is what he did.
But he could have used an older one, and/or it may not be a quality psu and thus not supply a constant voltage to your components.

Give us the spec of your pc AND psu....

Why should a PSU not be repaired? I realise it isn't necessarily economical (possibly with more expensive units!) but it is no different than a PSU found in a telly or video really, same principles - and any competent a/v tech would NEVER replace a complete circuit board!

Sponsored Links
Back