Acer desktop failed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is quite a modern desktop computer about one year old.

Last night it locked up and although there was the display the wireless keyboard or mouse would not have any effect. All I could do was to remove the power.

When repowering today, the fans work and the 5v supply is live to the USB sockets but there is no video output from the videocard HDMI output.

What is the best way to start looking for a problem on this? From memory PCs used to have a +5v, -12v and +12v supplies from the PSU.

Would checking the PSU outputs be the best place to start or are there likely to be some shortcuts?

Tony

Sponsored Links
If its less than 12 months old it should be in warranty

Do you get any BEEPS when you power it on

Does it have on-board graphics or a graphics card, is it plugged in correctly, can you test the graphics card in a different PC to check it still works

No sound on power up apart from the fans starting up.

Bought used so no supplier info and I expect its over a year from purchase anyway so I need to fix it.

Tony

First guess would be the CPU or MOBO but am not 100%

Try disonecting the HARD DRIVE then power it up, your listening for 1 beep which mean everything is working

Failing that, do you know anyone with the same AMD SOCKET as you, and would you be able to pop your CPU into their PC to test

Only real way to test hardware is process of elimination by swapping out piece by piece until it works

Sponsored Links
Last year, my computer packed up. Got a sparky mate to check the voltages of the PSU. All checked out. It still wouldn't power up though. It turned out, there had been a power surge in our area and the PSU although delivering the correct voltages, wasn't supplying the correct amperages. The computer started up with a new PSU, for about a minute. Further investigation found the processor faulty and the mobo. Processor seemed to think it was running at 90° on startup (even though it wasn't) Tried in another computer of the same type. Processor from other computer placed in mine and mobo found faulty too.
A hundred and twenty quid later, the only things original to my computer are the case, cd and dvd re writer, front panel, hard drive, tv card and graphics card.
New mobo, processor and memory modules. Plus a load of messing about trying to bypass HP's security measures (Software on the HDD recognised new mobo etc and didn't like it.)

That sounds a nightmare John!

Even so very cheap at £120 to sort out.

I will check the power supply voltages and see if there is anything obvious.

With these fully intergrated PCs there is little scope for changing anything as a method of fault finding by substitution.

Any other suggestions?

If I take it to a repairer, how does one find a clever and reliable one? What are the PC Worlds like or the independents? Is there any listing of how good they are?

Tony

I certainly wouldn't go to PC World. What they know about computers, ain't worth knowing, or could probably be written on the back of an empty fag packet. PC World would rather sell you a new comp than repair an old one.
Building a computer isn't that difficult these days. All mobos come with instructions on mounting into a case and what to connect to where. How to put the CPU/memory modules in etc. Fairly straightforward.
Where you might come unstuck though , is if you use the original HDD. A lot of manufacturers have hidden software to bind the HDD to the original mobo, but this can be bypassed. Probably easier to buy a new HDD and install the operating system of your choice.

Yes, but this is an expensive hi spec unit and I need to repair it or get it repaired.

Tony

Best to look for a local independent computer repairer I reckon. Should be cheaper than PC World. ;) ;)

Yes, but this is an expensive hi spec unit and I need to repair it or get it repaired.

Tony

If you can find a similar spec PC, same CPU socket you can at least try a process of elimination by swapping out each one at a time

If you suspect the power supply that could come from any ATX-2 PC which means 24PIN not 20PIN

Did you disconnect the hard drive and turn on PC? what happened

Is it a plug in video card? If so does the mother board have a video output too? If yes to both my first thought would be to take the graphics card out and try hooking a monitor up to the motherboard to see what happens.

First three steps to do if you haven't already would be to unplug the PC from the wall socket and then hit the power button as if trying to turn it on.

Doing this will discharge any residual power in the system and so 'zero' it for a cold restart.

Plug the PC in again and start it up. If there is no change then the next stop I would do would be to reset the CMOS which sometimes gets scrambled if you are unlucky.

The CMOS contains all the basic setup info for the machine including the system time, hardware installed, what resources are given to the hardware so it can communicate. It is possible that if this information becomes corrupted then some of the hardware may be clashing and the video card may not have what it needs to work correctly. There is usually a jumper on the motherboard of the machine which you will need to set in order to clear the CMOS. The CMOS will be re-populated when the machine next starts.

If you open your machine and can find a make and model number it is possible we may be able to find you the manual for it.

If that still does not work then strip the machine to its basics and take out all the extra add on cards that are not essential to the machine starting and try restarting then.

After these have been tried then it is a case of sending it to a repair shop or pulling parts out and replacing them. If you do not have another set of parts to swap out then a shop may be easier and cheaper.

RB

Sponsored Links
Back