Fake chimney breast, distance from flue?

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 307320

I've had a woodburner installed, going to build a fake chimney breast around the hearth, but confused about the distance from the flue I should build to.

It goes up as single wall about 500mm, then switches to twin wall.

My plan was to build a frame (steel stud and cement board around the fire itself, then timber and plasterboard for the rest), with the single wall flue exposed, and the conversion to twin-wall just out of sight.

Problem is I want to put an oak beam in that area, which obviously is combustible...

Can I protect the back of the beam with something where it the back of it will be a few inches from the top of the single wall flue?

I'll try to put up some photos later with an idea of what I have in mind, but I'd appreciate any comments!

Sponsored Links
I've seen a thin piece of sheet metal fixed to the underside the timber beam, that shields the beam from the heat of the pipe.
It needs spacers, about 20mm I think.
Looks a little odd but the casual observer wouldn't notice it was there.

If it's fixed to the cement board then the back is already protected.

Thanks!

I'm a bit confused about the whole thing to be honest! The guy who fitted the stove said that I'd have to line the chimney breast with cement board rather than plasterboard which makes sense as the stove instructions give a distance that it must be from combustible materials. He also said that I should use metal stud to build my frame rather than wood, but if it's enclosed in cement board anyway, why would it matter?!

Belt and braces.
Use cement board to enclose the top back and sides, for the outer frame use pink (fireline) plasterboard. Just follow the guidelines (and stove manufacturers instructions) on distances.
Note: Plasterboard is considered as a combustible material, even the pink one.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I've had a look at Approved Doc J which gives me a big of guidance, but to be honest I think I'm going with common sense mainly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back