Fake Grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a new build house with no turf as we decided to try fake grass mainly to give the children a play area as we have seen this in council areas and other places and looks good to us, sorry real grass fans.

Are there any pitfuls to avoid and optimum length of grass as so many to choose from. We like the ones with a bit of brown so its not bright green but wondered if anyone else has any experience of fake grass. Also is it a DIY job I have built a conservatory and can do some jobs other than electrics and plumbing so not a complete novice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It works fine, but as ever, adequate sub-base preparation is the key to success. If you just buy some fake grass and just lay it on the existing earth it will end up in a right mess.

I do plan to have a base of sand compacted and a weed membrane and a bit of edging too. Hopefully it will be good!

Sponsored Links
Some of the original fake "grass" had sharp edges and did cause bad cuts if people slid along it after falling over. So make sure the "grass"you buy is intended for use in a playground / sportsfield and is NOT a type intended for locations where people are only walking on the grass.

If this is for a children's play area with some types of this there is a certain underfelt type product to be put down under it to soften the blow should one of them fall from a height on say a swing or slide as the sub base wouldn't absorb the impact the same way.

Had a product called Namgrass Mirage in my last house from here www.namgrass.co.uk. I was impressed with it.

I have had artificial turf put in the backyard and it works well.I got the installers to do it for me. I was warned to make sure the kids aren't allergic to the material?! Anyway no probs till now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back