slate and fake grass on clay base? and which way drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, two questions really..
I know theres lots of chat about which way drainage should go, but I'd really love it if someone with more experience than I could have a look over this and tell me what to do.

we have a small terrace house garden, which after digging out about 16 tons of raised areas I discovered is a clay base, so ive put down a sub base, 6" of type1 so far.
Ive built a flower bed seating area at the back of the garden as can be seen.

so now firstly which way should the fall be? the drain is on the side of the house as can be seen in my initial plan drawing. A couple of houses next door have recently been renovated and they've both added a channel drains around the edge of the house.. but I read everywhere that the fall should shouldn't be towards the house, although would be really handy for the drain, which is on the side, of the return..

If I put the fall away, and towards the new seating and bbq area, I'd have to have the channel drain all around the block work shape, in and out... and where would it then exit?
Or should I have a channel drain along the right hand side perimeter wall all along. and run it round the side return and to the drain that way?
Im just so confused about it

Secondly, my wife wants some artificial grass as well as the slate Im planning on putting down.
Is it possible to have both with the sub base/ clay? Surly the fake grass is porous so would let water get through, and down to the sub base.. and therefore under the slate tiles sub base aswell? how would I drain the fake grass area, as it wouldnt run over the slated area to the channel drains!?
also on this note, where should I put the fake grass, we cant work out where would be best to have it. Any thoughts? (just playing with ideas in my image)

Im sorry for the questions, as Im sure you're all bored of covering them, but a little help beofre I move forward would be amazing.

so basically which way should the fall be? and can I have both fake grass and slate on a type1 sub base on top of clay?

Thanks so much
images attached

Attachments

• garden1.jpg
    garden1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 232
  • garden2.jpg
    garden2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 235
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back