Falling and crumbly plaster between wall/ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I've just started renovating our new home (a 1930s semi). I expect this to be my first question of many on this forum! :oops:

I've been removing tons of wallpaper (yes, its also on the ceiling, as can be seen in the photo partly stripped). The plaster between the ceiling and the walls is crumbly in areas and expose a gap of roughly 1 or 2 cms long and 5-10cm in length. You can actually see the brickwork behind it, and i can fit my hand in the one attached in the photos.

The condition of the wall plaster is good (requires patching), and the plastering on the ceiling is recent and in a very good condition - its just the filler in between that is crumbling when I remove the wallpaper. Its in a relatively bad shape around the room. Even the colour looks more like cement than the rest of the plaster in the room.

What's the best way to fill these in? They're too deep to fill with patching plaster I think (and I don't think they should be completely filled in, but I'm no expert hence my question on this forum) Is this a big problem?

Many thanks!
wzrd

Sponsored Links
Proper Gyproc cove - fixed with a thick mix of artex ;)

Sponsored Links
There were too many damaged areas, in the end we got a plasterer round and fixed all the blown plaster and finally re-skimmed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back