Lath & Plaster ceiling renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a 1930s house and am in the process of renovating a room where some kind soul has wallpapered the ceiling, whats more, its on lathe and plaster.

My intention is to put some spotlights in and I am wondering, if time isn't an issue, should I just rip the lot out?

Are there any benefits with replacing lath and plaster with plasterboard or would I be mad doing this?

Sponsored Links
Lathe and plaster eventually commits suicide. Ripping them down though can be very messy. Often, people just overboard them with longer screws.

One downside though is that the clips on your recessed downlights might not be happy with the extra thickness. Sometimes the light fighting starts to creep downwards. To get around that you could cut much larger holes in the lathe and plaster before overboarding (making an accurate record of where the centres of the holes are)

Lathe and plaster eventually commits suicide. Ripping them down though can be very messy. Often, people just overboard them with longer screws.

One downside though is that the clips on your recessed downlights might not be happy with the extra thickness. Sometimes the light fighting starts to creep downwards. To get around that you could cut much larger holes in the lathe and plaster before overboarding (making an accurate record of where the centres of the holes are)

not to worried about the mess, sounds like its purely a question of whether the person can be bothered or not :)

1930's, a good chance the whole room needs to go back to brick at the same time if you don't mind the mess. And redo all the electrics at the same time.

Sponsored Links
1930's, a good chance the whole room needs to go back to brick at the same time if you don't mind the mess. And redo all the electrics at the same time.

oddly, I haven't discovered any lath and plaster in the walls yet. but 100%, the electrics need sorting :)

I own a 1930s house and am in the process of renovating a room where some kind soul has wallpapered the ceiling, whats more, its on lathe and plaster.

My intention is to put some spotlights in and I am wondering, if time isn't an issue, should I just rip the lot out?

Are there any benefits with replacing lath and plaster with plasterboard or would I be mad doing this?

The wallpaper is to hide the cracks.

Personally, i'd just overboard what's there. The plasterboard will support the original lath and plaster and you'll get a nice smooth ceiling ready of skim without the mess of bringing down the original.

Personally, i'd just overboard what's there. The plasterboard will support the original lath and plaster and you'll get a nice smooth ceiling ready of skim without the mess of bringing down the original.

I have removed a chimney breast in the same room... Mess is my middle name :)

What is the condition of the L&P? Personally I would make it good if it is anything like decent condition.

What is the condition of the L&P? Personally I would make it good if it is anything like decent condition.

a few deep cracks under the wall paper. I also have to make good the hole where the breast used to be, hence me debating the approach

Its cracked and wall papered, so you'd need to take the paper off before making good and skimming. I can only see upsides to leaving what is there as is and boarding and skimming over the top.

I've had to deal with my dads L and P ceiling (cutting a loft hatch in), when the time comes it's getting over-boarded and skimmed.

I suppose if your already knee deep in brick dust just pull it all down!. His is still surprisingly solid and sound though.

I am in the process of renovating a similar age house. In the rooms i have completed so far i over boarded and skimmed. Very easy to do and gave a perfect finish. No dramas with the down lights either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back