False ceiling driving me mad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My first post and I need some help to save my sanity LOL

I am currently putting in a false ceiling. I have knocked three very samll areas into one area approx 16ft x 9ft.

I set about making a frame from 3x2 timber. Completeed the outside frame and continued to in fill the cross beam and some extra support inbetween.

I have had such a terrible time getting it level. I took it all down and started from scratch and then it was the same. It seems some of the wood has slight bends in it.

Is there a solution or is it just go out and get some more wood and start again.

Many Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
always put the bow in any timber upwards,so over time it will straighten out.

when ive done this i use my basic aser level to make sure everything looks as good as it can,also bear in mind no doubt your going to plaster board it so it shouldnt look as bad as you think it does?

Should be using kiln dried timber, should be checking it's true when purchasing.
When securing plasterboard any upward curves[along short distance] will be lost as plasterboard does not bend easily[do not over tighten screws] , but any dips in the timber will stand out.

Depending what's immediately above the proposed height of the false ceiling, concrete, timber joists etc. you need to put in whats called a hangers, only in this instance they could better be called hanger/pushers.
Once you're happy with the outside frame, fixed leveled, straightened or whatever, you need to fix your ceiling joists (personally I would use 2" x 2") and this is where what's above you comes in. Sufficiently heavy duty hangers will hold the ceiling straight by bending the center of the room framework upwards/downwards, permanently.
If your fixing under concrete, cut 2" x 2" spacers of the correct length to bring the framework straight when there pushed between the back of the framework and the concrete (you'll either have to pull the frame down to get it in place, or push it up to close the gap).
If it's timber joists above cut the spacer some 6" longer or so than required, these can be fixed into the side of a joist where it will also run down the side of a suitable 2" x 2" of the ceiling framework, screw through the frame into the spacer to fix as you pull/lever the framework straight, repeat this 6 times or so untill your happy the ceilings well fixed.
You should now have a straight/fixed suspended ceiling...seemples...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Its been driving me mad. But got the outside sorted and lifting and pushing where necessary

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back