False ceiling in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As well as drylining the walls, the ceiling of my bedroom also needs fixing. It's lath and plaster with lots of cracks due in part to the insulation above being compressed by the loft boards.
I could just screw plasterboard over the existing ceiling, but that adds more weight to the very small joists which are only approximately 75mm x45mm over a 4m span (Victorian under-engineering).

I am thinking of fixing timber to two walls and using joist hangers to create a false ceiling. The room is about 2.7m high so losing a bit of height is not a problem. A false ceiling will also allow new wiring without having to lift too many loft boards and I can install insulation in the void.

Obviously, if this were to be a load bearing floor, the joists would need to be of the order of 200x50, but as it's just to support a plasterboard ceiling, some insulation and a light fitting, would 100x50 be acceptable over a 4m span?

Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back