False Ceiling, LED Strip Idea - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I am in the process of coverting the garage into a bar\chill out\cinema room and had an idea regarding the lighting and wanted to get peoples opions of whether this will work

Basically for normal light there is 4 reccessed downlights on their own lighting circuit. My idea for colored chillout mood lighting is as follows.

Create a frame in the middle of the ceiling using 2"x2" timber that will be 6'x3' less 2" on each side. Over this i will then fix a sheet of 15/18mm MDF measuring 6'x3' this means there is a 2" overhang on all edges. Then to the baside of the batten inside the overhang fix RGB LED flex strip all the way around using the 60/M strip giving approx 5M of flexi strip. This strip will be then connected via a controller and transformer to the lighting circuit along with a separate switch neer the existing switch.

I will also be installing another flex strip-controller-transformer that will be plugged into a socket and then run under neath the cabinets in the corner where the bar area is.

The idea is that the under cabinet lights will run with a neon blue color and then lights in the ceiling with a pink color, but with the option that either can change color as well.

What do people think about this and will the led strip create enough light to bathe the room in pink and blue or is there an alternative to this. Also if anyone can show me explains of fitting\using this type of ceiling i would appreciate it as i have seen it on a couple of company sites, but most of the examples i have seen show the false ceiling going to around 4" from the wall

thanks
dave

Sponsored Links
I am in the process of coverting the garage into a bar\chill out\cinema room
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd comply with P1? That's very important, because if you allowed them to tell you to say, or by default agreed, that you'd use a registered electrician then you must do so, or you'll not get your completion certificate.

will the led strip create enough light to bathe the room in pink and blue or is there an alternative to this.

will the led strip create enough light to bathe the room in pink and blue

If you like bathing in a bath with an inch of water, then perhaps. :LOL:

You should check out the power of your proposed LED lighting taking account of the luminous inefficiency of how you are mounting them in a recess.

I'd use fluorescent, with coloured plastic metallised film. Because the reflector is coloured, that will be the colour of the light you'll see.

I'd use fluorescent, with coloured plastic metallised film. Because the reflector is coloured, that will be the colour of the light you'll see.

Hang on, what year is it?

Used to do stuff like that in the days of glam rock.
Even then it seemed a bit naff. :D

Sponsored Links
Hang on, what year is it?
You've got your finger on the pulse, SNM.

I'm 70 and I first was involved in that sort of lighting 40 years ago.

The old ways still have merit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back