false ceiling up the stairs - best way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a stair case that once past the first few steps opens up right up to the roof ceiling with walls either side. I am thinking of putting in a false ceiling to run at a minimum height of 2m from the stairs all the way up.

Whats the best way to do this? I think timber batterns screwed to wall and then inserting the studs to screw plasterboard to.

Or to measure at 3 points the length of the new ceiling from wall to wall and build the frame first. Screwing the frame into place packing out with shims for any uneven parts.
Then plasterboard.

Could any insulation be inserted also to help save on heatining?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did this myself a few years ago and decided the best way was to do the battens first and then studs as this way i was sure the finished framework fit tight. Building the framework first I thought would be too cumbersome to handle and also would not guarantee a good fit.I then inserted insulation first making sure that any water tanks in the loft were not directly above,my thinking being that if they were they would be then insulated from any rising heat and more prone to freezing. As a bonus, where the "new" ceiling ended
is a small landing where the stairs turn 90 degrees and so i was able to put in a door and turn this into useful storage space.
In my case,being 6ft tall, I made the new ceiling height 2.4 metres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back