How to fix bowed floor and ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm sure some of my questions have been covered in previous posts but I haven't been able to find any.

Got a mid-terrace Victorian house that I'm trying to refurbish. The master bedroom though has a bowing ceiling and a dipping floor.
I'm guessing the best way to hide the ceiling problem is to fit a false ceiling by removing the coving and bolting a frame to the walls then creating a horizontal stud wall.http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/PLASTER_BOARDING_A_CEILING.htm
Couple of questions though, what size (2x2 - 2x3?)/ type timber should I use as there is limited space between the window frames and the current ceiling.
What type of screws / bolts should I use to secure the timbers?
Also how should the studs be secured to the wall plate - are joist hangers sufficient similar to these okay http://www.screwfix.com/p/speedy-hanger-mini-50mm-x-65mm-pack-of-10/63868 or would skew nailing be sufficient.
What thickness plasterboard should I use and also should I remove the plasterboard from the original ceiling.
Do I need to use ties to support the weight of the false ceiling in the middle - the area to be covered is 4.3m x 3.3m?

In terms of levelling the floor, should I just use a laser to get a straight line around the room and get a timber merchant to cut different thickness strips (I think they're called firring strips??) to raise the centre joists up so the floorboards don't dip in the middle? What would be the best way of securing these strips to the joists?
Also I read somewhere that I should put ply down on top of the floorboards afterwards? What thickness and type of ply should I use and what size screw/ spacing should I have.

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back