False chimney breast?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we have just bought our first house and there is a chimney breast in the dining room that is hollow when knocked on. We would like to knock it down but will need to get surveyors In to let us know it isn’t structural.
there is no breast upstairs (but there is a small gap and false walls between the two bedrooms where there are thin built in cupboards) and there is a stack in the loft that needs to be removed (as survey said).

any clues why such a large chimney breast would be there and what we might find behind?

house is approx 75 yrs old and a of cavity wall construction (was prc before remedial work).

only photo I can find at the moment but I’ll add a better one shortly!!

thanks I’m advance!

Attachments

• Dining Room Paint.jpg
    Dining Room Paint.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
You would probably find the original smaller fireplace/flue/breast behind it. The false breast likely put in to hide them and make a feature. Work out where the studs are and cut out a piece of the plasterboard to get a better view. Is the stack supported in the loft, if not that will be the greater priority.

Blup

You would probably find the original smaller fireplace/flue/breast behind it. The false breast likely put in to hide them and make a feature. Work out where the studs are and cut out a piece of the plasterboard to get a better view. Is the stack supported in the loft, if not that will be the greater priority.

Blup
My thoughts are that there is some kind of flue behind it and the small gap between stud walls upstairs is also housing that. If we could reduce it, that would be good as it takes up a lot of space (the room is only 2.5m wide as it is).

The radiator will be moved anyway.

The hearth under the radiator is only half or so width of the chimney breast so it fives me hope we can reduce it somewhat.

The survey said the stack needs to come down as it is not in good condition - I'm not sure if that means it's supported or not.

Attachments

• chimney stack in loft.jpg
    chimney stack in loft.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20230105_110156.jpg
    IMG_20230105_110156.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
It looks like the flue/stack come all the way down from the loft in which case you can remove the flue in the loft and the stack on the roof. But if you are going to kmove the breast/flue in the ground and first floors you will also need to remove the flue in the loft (and above) or support it with steel or the like.

Either way you will need the advice of a builder or SE.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back