Families sending relatives with Dementia to Thailand for care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/society...-relatives-with-dementia-to-thailand-for-care

There are an estimated 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK. Local authority residential care costs up to £700 a week, with private care around £1,000. There are no prescribed staff-to-guest ratios in the UK but, with annual staff turnover exceeding 30% and 122,000 job vacancies, levels in state and private facilities tend to be around 1:6.

In Thailand, in contrast, 1:1 around-the-clock residential care with fully-qualified staff – in award-winning facilities that look like four-star hotels – costs around £750 a week.

Mottie, Festy et al in their nappies being looked after by some Brown people so their loved ones can save a bob or two on their care - taking back control!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Interesting reading and really sad too, having to send loved ones so far away. Massive leap of faith too..

But, taking back control? What has this to do with brexit? Just wondering!

I am going to just marry a Thai nurse and have her live with me here.

Care costs is shocking - our local care home charges £1300 a week. If you survive 10 years, that's £676,000. Not much left for the kids inheritance.
Live-in Care is about half that, so not exactly cheap. I've see this industry grow in recent years (having worked in part for some of them). Lots of money to be made.

I think there might be an opportunity for developers to create a new type of community housing - small developments of 10-20 one bed bungalows with live-in care paid for by the community, like an extension on lease hold management charges. Obviously open to abuse and poor practice, but it might be a way for elderly people to get the care they need without spending all their money.

The problem will always be getting the people into the house when they need the care though.

Ive just arranged care for my father, 3 x a day 1/2hour a time cost £1,200 / month

My local care home costs £6,000 per month. -my FIL has lewy body dementia and parkinsons - he is in hospital at the moment, but will shortly either come home or go to the care home. My MIL is worried about coping with him and fearful of the cost.

Sponsored Links
It must be tough. 3/4 of my grand parents all died relatively quickly when my parents were still young, probably in 40s. I remember my nan causing my mum a lot of stress as she developed Alzheimers at around 80, died at 90. She actually died in hospital after getting unwell. She always had council care through as we had no money for anything else.
Sad times.

Interesting reading and really sad too, having to send loved ones so far away. Massive leap of faith too..

But, taking back control? What has this to do with brexit? Just wondering!

122k vacancies with a great deal of EU workers working in this sector on minium wage so if they have to get a visa, they won't be able to as these jobs do not pay enough to meet visa requirements unless the requirement is dropped which then begs the question why leave if it makes no difference?

Who is going to fill these vacancies?

122k vacancies with a great deal of EU workers working in this sector on minium wage so if they have to get a visa, they won't be able to as these jobs do not pay enough to meet visa requirements unless the requirement is dropped which then begs the question why leave if it makes no difference?

Who is going to fill these vacancies?
Ok, the above is at odds with the story you put up - am not being difficult, honest, I just didn't see it as a brexit bashing story and it's not... unless it means it's going to raise the price because of shortage of staff.

Nursing homes have been expensive for a long long time - stupid expensive, even while being a member of the EU.

The bloke who opened up. The centre I. Thailand was interviewed on the radio this after noon

Seemed a decent sort and made some good points Tbh

They have a different take in Thailand with ref the elderly

The bloke who opened up. The centre I. Thailand was interviewed on the radio this after noon

Seemed a decent sort and made some good points Tbh

They have a different take in Thailand with ref the elderly

I'd be over there quicker than you can say 'me love you long time'.

Ooooh maybe I will pretend to go gaga , could do with an extended holiday somewhere warm.

Mottie, Festy et al in their nappies being looked after by some Brown people so their loved ones can save a bob or two on their care - taking back control!
Out of sight, out of their minds...(y)

Lots of people retire to low cost economies. Thailand would let you live like a king with a £300k pension pot. Just a shame its so humid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back