Fan Capacitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me again.
Amazing.
Just as I'm working on the downstairs bathroom the upstairs bathroom fan stops!
Its an old version of this https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-mf100-100mm-mixed-flow-fan/26867
Under the cover is a capacitor that looks like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Ship-CBB61-1uF-AC-450V-Ceiling-Fan-Motor-Running-Capacitor/263202771883?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=47230&meid=bba01161a48e4eefaa71afa814006365&pid=100675&rk=2&rkt=15&sd=251985456171&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A7f37798a-a5cd-11e7-b0a0-74dbd18058a3%7Cparentrq%3Ad26acb7a15e0a86c4fcfcd44fffe9fb2%7Ciid%3A1
Except mine is a 0.82uF not a 1uF. Mine is 400v.AC not 450. Hz are the same then mine has 40/70/21 not 20/70/21 written on it.
Anyone know the differences and wether or not it would do the job?
Can't seem to find the exact stats.
For 99p if it wasn't electrics i'd just give it a go.
Ta.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Why are you assuming the capacitor has gone faulty? Have you checked power is getting to the upstairs fan with your multimeter?
Could it possibly be that you have disconnected something downstairs that is affecting the upstairs fan?

It is not unusual for one fan to do two bathrooms.

Hi Winston.
I've been up the loft and disconnected the fan and connected the old fan from downstairs.
It runs fine so it is without doubt the fan at fault.
The downstairs and upstairs bathrooms are on a completely different circuit so no chance of affecting one by messing with the other.

Hi Winston.
I've been up the loft and disconnected the fan and connected the old fan from downstairs.
It runs fine so it is without doubt the fan at fault.
The downstairs and upstairs bathrooms are on a completely different circuit so no chance of affecting one by messing with the other.

OK, so why do you assume the capacitor has gone faulty? Those type are pretty reliable things. Much more likely gummed up bearings I would have thought.

Sponsored Links
I'm not assuming it's the capacitor. It's just the easiest thing to start with.
The fan spins freely, no grinding noise before it stopped so I would think it's either the motor given up or the capacitor.

If it's a cap across the fa itself, it is just there to reduce noise/interference. You can just disconnect it and see if the fan then works.
As above, I doubt it will be the cap that is faulty.
Just test to see if you have 230volts (ish) across the actual fan wires.

I've disconnected the capacitor and no change.
If you are saying the fan can run with or without the capacitor connected and an old fan works when connected to the power I take it the motor is shot?

I'm sruggling to find my multi meter.
I'll have another look, otherwise i'll borrow one and get back to you.
Ta.

You'll need one. First off check there is voltage at the terminals of the fan unit.
Then check if there's volts at the fan itself.
If it's a timer fan then the timer board is the bit that often dies.

These fans also have an internal thermal safety device. If it trips or fails then fan is goosed.

'goosed and ducked'. It depends on the nature of the cutout I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back