Fan Capacitor

Ah. Thank you.

Being picky, as is my wont -

Can you interchange words which have multiple meanings, when one of each might coincide?
I.e. goosed = f**ked = had sex.
F**ked also = broken = goosed ???

"If it trips or fails then fan has had intercourse."

I suppose that's the dreaded evolution.
Every word will mean everything soon.

Saturday night, lots will get house sparrowed.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what that means but -

Goose would seem an illogical choice for a synonym of f*ck because it already means to grab someone's buttocks.

My point is - for example, prison officers are called screws, referring to them as sh*gs, bones, bonks, bangs, humps, f*cks or even fixings does not follow.

Goose would seem an illogical choice for a synonym of f*ck because it already means to grab someone's buttocks. ...
Doesn't rhyming slang invariably substitute a word that already has a (totally different) meaning (or meanings)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, I am not quibbling that goose may mean f*ck in its sexual meaning if that is indeed the case in rhyming slang. I don't know.

To transpose it to also mean the other slang meanings of f*ck as well does not follow especially as it already means something else.
Well, it has so it's too late.

Do you not agree with my point about prison officers?

Yes, I am not quibbling that goose may mean f*ck in its sexual meaning if that is indeed the case in rhyming slang. I don't know.
I think you may misunderstand the concept of rhyming slang. I don't think it has got anything much to do with meaning but, rather, is simply a 'word substitution' (think of it as a 'code' if you like), which arises because f*ck (with any meaning) rhymes with "duck", hence "goose and duck" which, per the tradition of Cockney rhyming slang, then gets abbreviated to just "goose".
To transpose it to also mean the other slang meanings of f*ck as well does not follow especially as it already means something else.
I'm not so sure about that - see above. However, as for the second part of your comment, as I said before, Cockney rhyming slang, by definition, always substitutes a word which "already means something else". That's how it works.
Do you not agree with my point about prison officers?
I agree that one would not use alternative words to "screw" to refer to prison officers. However, it's not rhyming slang but, rather (as I understand it) its derivation relates specifically to prison officers, since "screw" once meant "key", and prison officers "turnkeys".

Kind Regards, John

I've already explained, John.

It's you who seems to be having trouble understanding tonight.

I didn't mention rhyming slang; you did.

I agree that one would not use alternative words to "screw" to refer to prison officers. However, it's not rhyming slang but, rather (as I understand it) its derivation relates specifically to prison officers, since "screw" once meant "key", and prison officers "turnkeys".
Exactly.

So, the fact that 'screw' is also slang for other things does not mean that synonyms for those other things can be used for POs.

I didn't mention rhyming slang; you did.
That's true - but I mentioned it because substitution of "goose" for "f*ck" IS rhyming slang - nothing to do with meanings, simply because "f*uck" rhymes with "duck"
So, the fact that 'screw' is also slang for other things does not mean that synonyms for those other things can be used for POs.
Agreed - but, unlike the situation with rhyming slang (f*ck always rhymes with duck, no matter what the meaning of the former), there is no reason why those synonyms should relate to prison officers (those who 'turn the key {aka 'screw'}').

Kind Regards, John

What a pathetic place this forum has become, and it all started with the ridiculous arrogant waffling of JohnW2.

To the op, take safety precautions, turn on the power, poke the fan blade with a screw driver, if it spins replace the capacitor. If it doesn't spin buy a new fan.

Goose would seem an illogical choice for a synonym of f*ck because it already means to grab someone's buttocks.
does it? I didn't know that.

Is it a regional slang? Where from?

Or is it slang that has died out?

does it? I didn't know that.
Yes.

Is it a regional slang? Where from?
I have no idea.

Or is it slang that has died out?
Obviously not.

Just to point out -
Rhyming slang uses a two word phrase, the latter of which does rhyme with the chosen word.

Apparently "Goose's neck" is rhyming slang for "cheque".
So, someone would say "Is a goose's alright?"
It is unlikely to be used for anything else.

The fact that duck rhymes with f*ck and, like goose, is a bird is not rhyming slang.

Why goose should have become synonymous for f*ck as in sex in urban slang, I also have no idea.

What a pathetic place this forum has become, and it all started with the ridiculous arrogant waffling of JohnW2.
Read the thread.

For the record, "it all started" when Jackrae used rhyming slang to indicate that the OP's fan motor was probably dead, after which EFLI asked him what the word he'd used meant.

Kind Regards, John

Rhyming slang uses a two word phrase, the latter of which does rhyme with the chosen word.
Indeed, but what makes it difficult for those not-in-the-know to understand is that the second word of the 'phrase' (the word which rhymes with the word being replaced) is usually omitted.
The fact that duck rhymes with f*ck and, like goose, is a bird is not rhyming slang.
But it is - not because duck and goose are both birds but, rather, because someone decided that "goose and duck" is a 'well known phrase". Many of the "two word phrases" are a bit contrived, and not necessarily 'everyday phrases' (e.g. "apples and pears", "trouble and strife" etc.).
Why goose should have become synonymous for f*ck as in sex in urban slang, I also have no idea.
People keep telling you. I'm not sure that 'synonymous' is quite the right word for slang, but the reason is that it's rhyming slang. And, as I've said, it is not restricted to "as in sex". If you moved in appropriate circles, you would probably hear people saying things like "What the goose?", "Goose off", "I don't give a goose" and, as in this thread, even "the fan motor is goosed".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back