Fan Speed Controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i got a 60W osc fan and i was wondering if I can use this to control the speed...

I heard you can't control AC motors because they require the correct voltage and a fixed amount of ampage.

So my questions is: Does this part have a variable frequency?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLFC1.html

VLFC1.JPG

cheers :)

and for the record... I dont think it will work because this isn't like a "dimmer", but more like a switch... am i right?

Sponsored Links
any advice please guys?
reason i ask because its too loud on the lowest setting, I cant sleep with it on.

I guess i need to buy something like this:

BGVSFC.JPG

Just a simple Yes or NO will do, thanks

Sponsored Links
I expect either of those switches will be able to control a simple household fan. I cant help thinking they are just dimmer switches in disguise. But a dimmer says "dont use with motors or inductive loads" so there must be some extra circuitry.

the box will need to have cord grips, and preferably, glands, if this is to be portable and wired in flex.

thanks champ, yup of course i will add the safety bits & pieces :)
yeah I read you need one that will lower the frequency (hz) or a device with some sort of variable resistor.

a dimmer will decrease the amps & volts which works well in lights as bulbs have filaments, but the fan cannot be done this way as ac motors can only run at a certain voltage & amps (i think).

:rolleyes:

Dave9 said:
thanks champ, yup of course i will add the safety bits & pieces :)
yeah I read you need one that will lower the frequency (hz) or a device with some sort of variable resistor.

a dimmer will decrease the amps & volts which works well in lights as bulbs have filaments, but the fan cannot be done this way as ac motors can only run at a certain voltage & amps (i think).

:rolleyes:
not meaning to be picky, but a normal dimmer cuts out part of the sine wave that forms AC. so 50 times a second, it cuts out either the first or last part of each cycle, thus lowering the RMS voltage from 230V. The frequency stays the same, but part of the cycle is missing, so no flickering is visible still at 50Hz.

Lowering the frequency of the mains will make a motor turn slowly, but this is not very easy or cheap to do. And it will make a light filament flicker visibly as the voltage cycles. So i suspect these fan controllers are simply dimmer switches with extra circuitry.

i see, ok thanks mate. ;)
i think it should work, loads of peeps are using the first controller in the pic on this forum i found a few mins ago... so looks promising!

cheers for the reply :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back