Fan wiring with pics posted! What's happening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first of all thanks in advance for your kind replies.
I am having a bit of confusion about a inline extractor fan (Brand: INTERVENT bought at MachineMart.

It comes with a timer but I don't need it.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/manrose-4-inch-timer-shower-fan-vsf100t

I thought that wiring was a simple matter of using a wall plug to it but it doesn't move.

The thing is that I don't want to have it installed just in the bathroom. As long it has a plug I'd like to use it in my small kitchen (which has no windows) in case I cook. The steam is quite damaging the walls.

This is a cheap option instead of buying cooker hood and permanent bath fan.

I am posting some pics about the wiring that I made.

I would really appreciate any advice guys.

Thanks for your help. View media item 55748 View media item 55749 [/img]

Sponsored Links
have you got the live and the neutral the right way round? Looks like they could be in the wrong terminals

What do the terminals say?

If it's got a timer on it, I'd say there should not be an earth connected, looking at the number of terminals there.

Oh dear god! If you cant follow the instructions to get the fan working from the plug, and looking at what you have done so far then please put the fan down, pick up your telephone and ring an electrician! I don't mean to be rude but its for your own safety, trust me!

Sponsored Links
Extraction Rate, up-to 85m³/hr, 23l per second
Sound Volume 41.0dB(A)
Pre-oiled bearings for a long maintainance free life.
Complies with 2006 Building Regulations on ventilation
Double insulated - no earth connection required
230V/20Watt.

Were there no instructions with it.

You'll have live (as in permanent live), switch live and neutral.
Earth isn't reqiuired hence put it in a piece of terminal block and tuck it out of the way.
If you just want it to run without the timer then link L and Ls (or could be Lt) together.

The fan pictured is not the one linked to, it's designed to be fixed to a wall, not an inline duct.
The wiring is wrong, clearly the instructions were not even looked at. The fan may now be destroyed.
Using a flex like that is unsuitable, because there is no strain relief or any method of securing it.
If you don't want a timer, then get a fan without one.

The thing is that I don't want to have it installed just in the bathroom. As long it has a plug I'd like to use it in my small kitchen (which has no windows) in case I cook. The steam is quite damaging the walls.

This is a cheap option instead of buying cooker hood and permanent bath fan.
That implies you want to use the one fan and move it between the kitchen and bathroom.
This raises some important considerations:
1. How is this fan going to be connected in the bathroom, given that sockets in bathrooms are not permitted?
2. This fan and others like it are designed to be fixed to a wall with a hole through the wall to the outside. If moving it from one room to another you would have to dismantle and unscrew the thing from the wall every time, so what benefit is there of having it on a plug?
3. If your kitchen has no windows, this suggests it has no outside walls either.
4. Surely you did not expect to just shove this in the room somewhere and not actually have it vented to the outside?

You'll have live (as in permanent live), switch live and neutral.
Earth isn't reqiuired hence put it in a piece of terminal block and tuck it out of the way.
If you just want it to run without the timer then link L and Ls (or could be Lt) together.

You said switch live....but in the plug the green and yellow cable is earthed...right?

There is difference between plugs with earth and with Switch live i think.

Sorry if I could look silly but english is not my first language.

Anyone up to explain the difference...if any please?

You said switch live....but in the plug the green and yellow cable is earthed...right?
Yes

There is difference between plugs with earth and with Switch live i think.
There is no such thing as a plug with a switched live instead of an earth.

Sorry if I could look silly but english is not my first language.
The way that fans are connected is the same in all countries.

So is the symbol for earth, and so is the concept of a difference between live, earth and neutral, and the use of green/yellow for earth is widespread. You should not have connected the earth wire from that cable to the fan.

Anyone up to explain the difference...if any please?
A fan with a timer needs a connection which is live all of the time, and one which is switched on and off - that is what tells the fan to start. You cannot do that with a plug.

If you do not want the fan to run on for a time after you turn it off then you can get one that does not have a timer, or you can link the live and switched live terminals together and then you could use a plug.

But you would still have to find a way to clamp the flex where it enters the fan, and you will still need to drill a 100mm diameter hole through the wall to the outside and fix the fan to the wall. If your kitchen does not have any outside walls then you cannot have a fan.

thanks to all of you for the advice....I will call an electrician tomorrow morning!

See you soon guys :)

An electrician will tell you the same as us.

Basic question - does your kitchen have an outside wall, and will you be allowed to drill a large hole through it? If the answer to either of those is "no" then you will not be able to have a fan.

But.

Why is there no fan there already? It is a requirement of the Building Regulations if there are no windows.

An electrician will tell you the same as us.

Basic question - does your kitchen have an outside wall, and will you be allowed to drill a large hole through it? If the answer to either of those is "no" then you will not be able to have a fan.

But.

Why is there no fan there already? It is a requirement of the Building Regulations if there are no windows.

Hi, I am not calling an electrician because I want to hear something different than you guys. I just want someone to have a look at it and find the best and safest way to do this thing.

Probably I've explained my problem so bad that most of you are concerned for my safety for sure.
Just to let you know I'd like a fan on an outside wall BUT with some duct that I can move easily from the kitchen to the bathroom (they have a wall in common anyway).
I need to ask my landlord why there is no extraction....anyway I will leave this house in a couple of months but believe me guys....while I boil water for my pasta I get a sauna at the same time :)

Thanks again to all of you :)

Your landlord should have installed the extractor fans ( both bathroom and kitchen if there are no windows ) BEFORE renting the property. It appears the propery does NOT comply with building regulations and if that is the case than the landlord is breaking the law by renting the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back